Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Package tray/ rear shelf? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/package-tray-rear-shelf-231196.html)

bigdog7373 03-26-2013 12:12 PM

Package tray/ rear shelf?
 
Not sure what to call it, the piece of metal under the back window that the speakers sit in. Car is a 78 t/a. The metal is real rusty and separated. Does anyone know if i can get this as a new complete piece or will i have to pull it out and patch it up? Thanks in advance..:thumbup:

DanTwoLakes 03-26-2013 12:49 PM

Let's put this in Body/Exterior. Somebody there will know.

Dan

Trucknut 03-26-2013 02:18 PM

I have a 1966 LeMans that had the same problem. I don't think you'll find another package tray structure for yours unless you cut one out from a junkyard and weld it in yours. I left mine in place, ground as much rust out as I could. I treated it with Rust Mort and put a fiberglass overlay on it using three sheets of mat and resin. After it set up, I recut the speaker holes. The car has been finished for a while and this worked very well. Looks good with the vinyl covered tray with a series of little holes over the speakers. I don't know if there is enough metal left on yours. It worked for me and the tray cover solves any cosmetic issues.

Good luck.

Chris

After thought: It helped that the rear window was out.

bigdog7373 03-26-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trucknut (Post 1660621)
I have a 1966 LeMans that had the same problem. I don't think you'll find another package tray structure for yours unless you cut one out from a junkyard and weld it in yours. I left mine in place, ground as much rust out as I could. I treated it with Rust Mort and put a fiberglass overlay on it using three sheets of mat and resin. After it set up, I recut the speaker holes. The car has been finished for a while and this worked very well. Looks good with the vinyl covered tray with a series of little holes over the speakers. I don't know if there is enough metal left on yours. It worked for me and the tray cover solves any cosmetic issues.

Good luck.

Chris

After thought: It helped that the rear window was out.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I was figuring i'd have to take the widow out. Mine is rusted enough that it it separated and sagging. Looks like the rear window has been leaking for quite some time. I can get a picture tomorrow, but i think i will have to do some metal work to get the structure back. I like your idea of the fiberglass, I think I'll do that to strengthen it and shape it. I was hoping there would be a reproduction piece but i guess not.

killeratrod 03-27-2013 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
check out year one. you maybe able to rework this

bigdog7373 03-27-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killeratrod (Post 1660795)
check out year one. you maybe able to rework this

Hmm that's a similar looking piece.. What car is it from?

killeratrod 03-27-2013 08:13 AM

this fits up to a 73 firebird

killeratrod 03-27-2013 08:24 AM

also check this site out. Firebird & Trans Am 1970-81

bigdog7373 03-27-2013 08:37 AM

I don't see why a 73 part wouldn't fit a 78. It was the same body style and interior..
I'll check that link right now, thanks.

killeratrod 03-27-2013 10:02 AM

the thumbnail is yearone, the link is a used parts guy.

bigdog7373 03-27-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killeratrod (Post 1660829)
the thumbnail is yearone, the link is a used parts guy.

Yep i got that. The parts guy is very expensive though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.