Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Packing for packing nut
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 06:07 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Packing for packing nut

Is this an easy item to get, or is it something I am going to have to order? I have a Sharpe SGF 98 that I have had for 6 or 7 years. I have always hated the gun ( ruined a paint job on a truck), I did not realize when I bought it way back when that I needed 12.3 cfm to run the gun properly, nor did I have access to that much with the set up I had at the time. Anyways I used it once and put it back in the box and it has set ever since.

Today since I now have the compressor to run the gun, I used it to base the car I am doing. It worked great except the packing nut wouldn't quit leaking ( yes I tried to tighten it up) and when I was finished, I tore the gun apart, including taking out all of the packing material. In all the years I have painted I have never taken a gun completely apart. I clean them ie... take the head out clean all of the body out etc... but I have never removed any of the "packing nuts" or tigger stuff... you get the picture, so tonight when I see all this funky looking white junk where I just pulled out the packing nut, of course I think it needs to come out and that is probably why the thing was leaking OOPs to late now. Is there something I can put in there myself that I dont have to buy "special packing material" or is it going back in the box for another 6 or 7 years lol???

I have got to get this car pearled and cleared tomorrow morning... dont have enough base to cover much of anything again? I have other guns that I have always relied on, but I must admit, that sharpe sprays better than my other 3 Astros that I have... they dont ever mess up, but they dont lay things down as nice either...

BK