Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - packing wheel bearings
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer View Post
My take on this is that when you buy new bearings, they are not covered with grease. You would'nt rebuild an engine or transmission without cleaning it before assembly (I never have anyways). Parts have to be clean. Just wiping the grease off will not remove the small metal particles that all moving parts aquire after a while. If these particles are not removed, it's a waste of time repacking them in my opinion. It would kind of be like changing the oil and not the filter.
well, see here is the problem..
todays flatrate shops pay the same time to do todays cars, that if you haven't noticed, don't have servicable bearing.. so the "tme alloted" isn't enough time to even open it up and clean or heaven forbid, turn the rotors .. and because you have a service writers that job is more cars in per hour, you CAN'T DO IT RIGHT

do it correctly, you're replaced because your not producing
pull short cuts 1 out of 100 might come back.. so like try'n to fight city hall, you do the job to produce and keep your job..

why you think rotors get replaced and not turned anymore..?
time..