Hot Rod Forum banner

packing wheel bearings

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  mh1984 
#1 ·
I was taught 50 some odd years ago that when you pack wheel bearings you clean them and blow them dry (with out spinning the bearing) and then repack them. Where I work now, they just wipe grease off and blow grease from bearing and then repack. Just wanted to get your take on doing it this way.

#5 ·
I learned like you its the right way! Quality and pride in a job well done way! As mentioned its a time saver now ,times money! Its funny how a few cents effects 0verall quality any more! 2000 hrs In a year, 2 min. per hr., per man,8hrs a day is $ !!!!!

How can you give it a good inspection for wear as stated earlier:confused:

Jester

#6 ·
Whaaat?
If there is any "fun" in repacking bearings, it's in the cleaning and blowing them dry. :D

No, I have never "wound them right up to warp factor 7" ... always have used a bit of drag to keep the speed down.

Right or wrong, it's never caused any trouble, and bearings were always replaced if there were ANY visible defects in either the cone or the cup.

For that matter, then ... IF my car was in a shop, and if economics only allow time for a "greasy inspection", I'd just instruct them to replace them all.

The world has gotten WAY carried away with "numbers", "productivity", and "efficiency". :rolleyes:

#7 ·
My take on this is that when you buy new bearings, they are not covered with grease. You would'nt rebuild an engine or transmission without cleaning it before assembly (I never have anyways). Parts have to be clean. Just wiping the grease off will not remove the small metal particles that all moving parts aquire after a while. If these particles are not removed, it's a waste of time repacking them in my opinion. It would kind of be like changing the oil and not the filter.

#9 ·
well, see here is the problem..
todays flatrate shops pay the same time to do todays cars, that if you haven't noticed, don't have servicable bearing.. so the "tme alloted" isn't enough time to even open it up and clean or heaven forbid, turn the rotors .. and because you have a service writers that job is more cars in per hour, you CAN'T DO IT RIGHT

do it correctly, you're replaced because your not producing
pull short cuts 1 out of 100 might come back.. so like try'n to fight city hall, you do the job to produce and keep your job..

why you think rotors get replaced and not turned anymore..?
time..

#14 ·
crap nowadays

Expanding on 623 mantis' reply, I've noticed that cars are designed to be assembled, not repaired. I had to pull the entire sub-frame off a camry to change a clutch because some idiot didn't design an extra 2" clearance between the trans & body. My friends agree with me that engineers should be required to spend 3-5 years as mechanics first, then ,I bet, a lot of things would be better designed.

#17 ·
Expanding on 632 mantis' reply, I've noticed that cars are designed to be assembled, not repaired. I had to pull the entire sub-frame off a camry to change a clutch because some idiot didn't design an extra 2" clearance between the trans & body.
You are exactly right.
New cars are not designed to be repaired.

I am suprised about the Camry issue. Toyota is usually better than that with their stuff.
I seen many newer vehicles with very hard to access OIL FILTERS.
Seriously? The oil filter is something that gets changed frequently. Yet, they bury that sucker. Some even require special tools.

It's all in the name of greed. Car companies really don't want the owner doing ANY work on it themselves.

#20 ·
When I work on my vehicles front ends and removing a rotor is nessesary i always clean the bearigs of old grease with gas diesel or varsol and dry them with air. Sometimes for fun I would let them spin into hyperspace lol. I check for heat marks and cracked cages and races. If its still good ill repack them and put them back in. Ive never had any problems.

#22 ·
I will not put a moving part on any of my vehicles that doesnt have a grease fitting. If you can keep grease in the joints they will last and you wont have to replace them. Vehicles aee built these days as a throw away vehicle after 10 years cause usualy in that time framw they get trases in on another pile of plastic parts or get wreaked and totaled out. Vehicles being built now are actualy safer that I agree with. Howwver it doesnt take much to total one out cause of the crumple zones. Im one of the younger generation and do like the looks of some of the newer vehicles but I enjoy my 94 c1500 regular cab step side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.