Painless Wire Upgrade for a Chevelle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 04:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Painless Wire Upgrade for a Chevelle

Hello, I have a '69 Chevelle that Iam slowly restoring. I plan to replace the old wire harness and glass fuse box with a Painless system. After 34 years it has been hacked into a number of times. My electrical knowledge is very basic. Should I attempt this myself? I would like to hear from others that have used Painless Wiring . If I have someone do this for me what should I expect to pay? The car does not have power windows locks or mirrors.

Thanks for your help

Peter

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

By all means do it yourself. This is a job that an average car nut can easily handle. See these threads.

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...3&highlight=ez

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...6&highlight=ez
Old 02-09-2004, 12:38 PM

im doing much the same thing myself, new painless harness for my 67 chevy p/u, the only problem ive run into so far is that the wires to my taillights arent long enough (i bought the universal gm kit brand new but from a friend who ended up selling his car before installing it, instead of getting the pickup-specific kit) all the wires are clearly labeled as to what they are and where they go. like i said im having and easy time of it and ive got limited electrical experience. shop around though before going with painless because ive heard of some even easier (and maybe cheaper) harness kits that have come out recently. good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:36 PM

Wiring

If you aren't that experienced or sure of yourself .....AND you have the money, Painless is one of several ways to go. An even more expensive, but more factory correct option is M&H, but they only sell the old glass fuse option. American Autowire is another option.

It's too bad you don't have more experience in this area as there are cheaper options, but you will do more work. The hot rod guys that have nothing to start with do some great things with more basic but quality harnesses.

Although I have met guys that like crimping, I will only solder terminals and splices myself. Then use a good heat shrink insulation.

I highly recommend a good multi-meter to help with troubleshooting and testing/verification.

Steve
Old 02-16-2004, 01:35 PM

I simpler option, but probably more expensive would be to get an original type harness from a resto catalog. It's pretty much just plugging it in with not much splicing to do.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:48 PM

Just got my (Painmless Wire) set in today from Summit for my 73-86 chevy truck, and when i opened the box i found a good lookin set of wire's and im very pleased, (Hope you will be also)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.