Painless wiring harness??How hard is it??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painless wiring harness??How hard is it???

Ok here is the deal,Im thinking of removing the LT1 engine out of the Comet and putting in a carburated 355. The previous owner installed the entire wiring harness from a 93-94 Camaro along with the engine and ECU, and the problem I have is that the wiring is a true mess under the dash....I was thinking of stripping everything out and putting in a universal Painless wiring harness to power the basics in the car, so at least I have a clue what goes to what if something goes wrong electrical. Pretty much all I need are the basics. Anyone have any experience wiring up this type of stuff? How much of a pain in the *** is it??

By basic I mean lights,horn,brakelights,fuel pump,fan,and engine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Last photo:

I doubt a universal wiring harness will be what you need, you need to buy a harness for the engine and year of the car that it came out of. I may be possible to salvage what you need from what you have so you can use the ECU, but replacing the injectors with a carb is whole nuther ballgame.

Vince
Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I doubt a universal wiring harness will be what you need, you need to buy a harness for the engine and year of the car that it came out of. I may be possible to salvage what you need from what you have so you can use the ECU, but replacing the injectors with a carb is whole nuther ballgame.

Vince
I said I was removing all of that. Im reffering to a chassis harness
Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I only use EZ-wiring... But if your pulling out the LT1.. I would buy a 21 Circuit wiring harness and pull all the other wiring out.Then install the new one.. I think that would be the easiest way to go,, Plus you will know what you have... The ones I use is just that ''EASY''... Being you want to go with the carb motor.. Get Reid of the old stuff, And start over..

I would put in a 21 circuit harness... That way if you want to add anything later, it is there..
Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

I too am thinking of the painless, if I were you I'd decide on what circuits I needed....ie pwr windows/locks, etc.... and by the universal that has at least that number of fused circuits etc......
Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 PM

I have used the painless and the ez harness>the only differences I see are price and instruction manual.Wiring your car is an intimidating job but not really all that difficult.Just take your time and plan,plan,plan your routes out.my first harness took over a week, now its about 3 evenings.That's after the old junk is out.You will get a lot of peace of mind knowing its is done right
Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Are the fuse blocks labeled like "radio" "brakes" "Headlamsp", ect..So its easy to trace a blown fuse?

really all I need are bare bones, I have a 65 Pro street comet that was retro fitted with an LT1. The issue I have is I have no clue what wired to what, they put in the entire harness from the car they got the motor from.For example,right now my blinkers dont work, I have no clue where to begin diagnosing..

here is the car, look at the dash and all those guages!!!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Every wire is labeled about every 6'' what it is for...

Nice looking car..
Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 PM

every fuse is labled and every wire is labled like new interiors said only diff price,great looking car
Old 11-26-2010, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss71
every fuse is labled and every wire is labled like new interiors said only diff price,great looking car
which one is cheaper?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

EZ-wiring..
Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

gauges

That is one awesome freakin' dash man. Who made that?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
That is one awesome freakin' dash man. Who made that?
I have no clue, got the car like that.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Ron Francis wiring kit is awesome

I purchased a RF kit for my 47 Cad fast back 2 dr. with a blown 350 chevy. I told them what i had and they sent me a labeled fuse box and labeled wiring kit. I ran all of the wires and installed the fuses. I put gas in the car and the thing cranked right up and ran great. It was the first and last time for me and it is just a awesome set up. It been about 7 or so years and the Caddy still runs perfect. Anyone can install a this kit, each wire has the name printed on it about every 3 inches............bullet proof and easy as hell. Doing the rest of the car was taxing and hard for me but me and my two sons put the time in and made it happen. We sold the car to my brother in law so I know what is going on with it. So I suggest a RF kit and jam on buddy. Texasfats
Old 11-27-2010, 04:40 AM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Most any universal kit could be made to work for your application. There is a long thread on this board regarding what wiring harness others have used or prefer. Some good info there along with a lot of opinions.

I used Painless to wire my T-Bucket. I would use their product again. No wiring failures of any kind in six years. Planning your wiring routes and choosing a good location for the fuse box is key. If you're using relays I like to plan those close to the fuse block as well just for convenience but it depends on what they're used for. Remember, with all these kits, you must supply the heavy gauge primary wiring from the battery to the starter / solenoid and the associated grounds back to the battery. The kit pretty much picks up from there. Each manufacturer has a web site you can go to for checking what circuits are provided in each of their products so you can pick which is best for you. Keep in mind most of these kits are designed for your typical street car so if you have anything on the car that is not typical for a driver, you may have to improvise some (I added a special circuit or two not provided in the kit and it was easy to do off of the fuse block). Having a few extra terminal strips and ring terminals on hand makes things easier as well. The one thing none of these kits address very well is taking a harness through a connector say like from the interior through the firewall to the engine compartment so you could quickly disconnect the engine harness from the system at the firewall if you pull the engine a little more frequently than most folks do.

I crimped, soldered, then shrink wrapped each electrical connection. Your instrument cluster may need additional wiring not supplied in the kit depending on what you have (couldn't tell from the picture) and whether they use electrical senders or the gauges are mechanical. I know Painless has an add-on kit for instrument harnesses but you'd want to see if it is suitable for your setup (I didn't use it and made up my own). Do you race the car? I would go with extra circuits beyond your needs for a basic kit, some day you might have nitrous or other performance goodies and having some extra circuits you can use is a plus. I made a copy of the user manual and noted in it each additional circuit or circuit that had it's usage changed from the labeled usage and it is now part of the car's documentation. Very handy later on when you make changes.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.