Thread: paint
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
I was cooking strudel,my 15 year old was on my computer all day, but finaly got to read this stuff,thanks for all the help. Im getting closer to my answer. I think I was on the wrong track. I was told that to get the results like what was painted on the willys,[picture], I would have to start with a black basecoat then paint my midcoat over that. A few coats and you would hardly see the midcoat maby only in bright sun.Add more coats and you would see it in less ligth,the highlights that is. I want a mostly black paint job,[ black candy base coat], with a mid coat that will give me the look like the willys in picture. Now this is where it gets tricky.In stead of brandywine, what I think is in his mid coat, I want to use a orange like manerin orange that h.o.k puts out. My problem is very simple but because of my lack of knowleg, need to know the steps. Do I use the consitrate and add it to clear,do I add somthing to make it flash quicker,or do I buy the mid coat already mixed and what's in the mix. I know someone painted that car, but I cant locate him, and even if I did it might be his secret.
I don't believe you where on the wrong track at all. Your PPG jobber should be able to make this for you. The Willy's does look like a black base coat with a transparent red over top...and yes the more transparent red you put over top of the black, the more visible it is, even when not in the sun. If you want orange, they have orange.

You would begin by painting the car with straight black PPG Deltron 2000, your mid coat would be a clear carrier...the part number is DBC 500. To the DBC 500 (which is a transparent base coat using the regular DT reducer line) you would add a dye (what ever color you want, PPG makes many colors of Dye)...I grabbed the closest one I saw in my mixing room, turns out it's a blue dye, part number DMX 216...that's blue, not orange or red, they are different part numbers. Generally 2 to 3 coats of the mid coat is all you would need to get the effect your looking for...high points red or orange, your choice, in sun and black in the shade. After your mid coat, apply as many coats of clear that it takes to make you happy.

If the jobber doesn't know about this, tell him that the PPG computer program that he has can teach him, the program has formulas for this. If you want Orange use this PPG mixing number 908326/2 That is the PPG formula for an Orange mid coat. These should be readily available at any PPG jobber as well as color chips...part number for the Vibrance Collection binder with color chips is DOX 600.

I hope this is the information you where looking for...If I have a Vibrance collection binder so should your jobber. There are many more colors available than just what there is in this binder...there are also two Vibrance/Radiance fan of chips available as well...both mine are out on lone right now to one of my customers or I would give you those part #'s as well.

Best to You
Ray

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 11-26-2012 at 04:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
dirtyfingers (11-28-2012)