Thread: paint
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
The bottom line is, if you want to paint that color, it is no big deal other then how thick your wallet is.
BUT all all the guessing in the world and playing on a computer is going to do nothing for you but cause you to spend money, you don't need to and end up with the wrong color when done.
IF you want this color, go to House of Color and buy there color chip book, last one I bought was 10 or so years ago and I think it was $50 dollars, so even if it is a $100 now, it will be money well spent as it will show that color and the slight changes made by using different color undercoats.
Now you know exactly what colors you want and then you can go to a Basf, PPG or a Matrix jobber that has their company "custom color mixing system" in stock and with the numbers you have they can mix it exact.

Now you can shop the colors with codes in hand and I can see where a color like this it could mean a $500-800 saving.
This does not have to be as complicated as it is being made out to be, as this is actually done everyday in bodyshops around the world.
Good Post BarryK...Paint is Paint...they all work, HOK does mostly specialty colors, all major manufacturerers have specialty colors with chip books that out line and have formulas for the colors they have...Check with your Jobbers and find the one that's going to help you the most.

The OP mentioned he went to PPG and got no where...that's one jobber for PPG not all of them, that's why I listed part number's for PPG.

Some colors are made to order or custom made by either a paint shop or a jobber, if that's what he wants, the wallet needs to get deeper to pay for building custom colors and spray out panels of custom colors to get exactly what he wants.

My PPG chip books cost $75.00 three years ago, so Barry, I'm sure your close.

I tried to explain the process and arm the OP with enough information to assist him when he went to his jobber for help.

Thanks
Ray