Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

paint

6K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  st3gamefarm 
#1 ·
i am wanting to paint my 55 delivery purple passion.is there a base coat cleare coat or is it all candy?house of color
im doing a 2 tone purple and silver.thanks for any info

#5 ·
Do you have experience painting? I hope you do if you plan to use a custom paint. Also be prepared to fork out the $$$$$ for the paint and all that's needed like primers, sealers, filler primers, topcoats and clear coats.
And if you plan to shoot a candy color...............man I hope you have a ton of experience, it is the hardest paint to apply.

#6 ·
thanks jay

and yes have alot of experiamce with candys.my dad and i are finishing the body work and ready to paint his 63 impala now.but thank you and yes a but load of money.spent 300 on primar dupont for my delivery friday and 800 on paint and clear for my dad friday

#7 ·
We have a purple passion kit with HS clear for a great deal that would include a gallon of base, gallon of our HS clear and all needed activators and reducers. You can check it out here. Here is a car done with it and our MS clear as I recall:

If you are wanting a 3 stage candy you might consider one of these:

These are true 3 stage candys. The purple passion shown above is a 2 stage pearl. If you like the purple passion then that is the way to go since it holds up better than the 3 stage candy colors and it is easier to apply. Here is another option akin to purple passion in the two stage family:

Our Stellar Silver is a bright coarse silver base that would look good in the 2 tone or if you prefer a sleeker less coarse silver you might consider our Iridium Silver.

We have some more photos of some of these on our site and facebook page.

All the colors above are on either our pearl color chart (purple passion & Vibrant Violet) or our candy chart (purple & Vexing violet) if you wanted to see them in person.

Good luck with your project.

Will

#12 ·
Welcome to the fourm, I hope you found the information you needed and I'm sorry you happened to come in on a pre-existing malfunction of a few others. If you use the coating store products, please post the results and your opinion of their products, especially since you and your dad are experienced with body work and paint. I think it would be helpful to the board if some people would post their experiences with the vendors and their products. Thank you for posting that they were helpful to you during a call, good customer service goes a LONG way now days.

Kelly

#13 ·
Poncho with the BAN HAMMER!

Kelly, I'm actually going to get a bit of his PBE (GTS Viper Blue...color I sprayed my car) and shoot an extra quarter panel I have laying around. Will become wall art, but having sprayed the entire car with ProSpray PBE, I think it will be interesting to see the comparison. Of course, I'll be reporting back what I learn.

#15 ·
That's a good idea deadbodyman. We can also set up some side by side testing of our products versus whatever brand you guys would like to see. Any suggestions on brands to compare benchmark our product to?

I think you will be surprised just how comparable our product is to the market leaders' top product lines.

#17 ·
User friendly means a lot too. and having a number to call when there's a problem or a question is also just as important as a quality product at the lowest possible price...I'll bet it wont be long before some of the major brands figure this out too and try to jump on the wagon. Spi started this because Barry truly cares about us struggling to make a dollar while every other week the price goes up but ours stay the same or go down...it's getting tougher every week and shops have been closing everywhere but thanks to Spi I've been able to stay open a few more years.so You have to understand why we are so loyal Plus someone like me that has a small shop or someone just trying to restore their first car get the same attention as anybody else that buys a ton of material...Barry didn't do all this as a business plan ,its just how he is...None of us that know what good quality paint and primers are will ever switch because we have absolutely no reason to...
Will, You sound like you've actually done some body and paint work and know a lot about the materials and because of this and only this I might give some of your base coats a try that Spi dosent make but maybe you should try some of Spi's products and see what your up against.. As business savoy as you are I'm sure you already have...Do you mix factory colors?
..............Mike

#18 ·
I will just say this about Will. I've had a conversation with him and he's very nice and helpful. He also comes from a major paint manufacturer, so he's already had his time in the 'big time.' Needless to say he didn't like the situation. He also shared with me in confidence some cost structures, maybe to settle my nerves on why his product was so low cost. As you might guess, he can keep his prices low for the same reasons SPI can. I've also had discussions with Barry on the very same topic.

Will the big companies ever lower their prices? My guess is probably not. I don't work in big paint, but I do work in big pharma; one of the largest pharma companies in the world; different industry but the business rules don't really change: perception in price. Charge a premium price for a premium product. And most people will pay the premium. Or the insurance companies do! :evil:

Product quality is more important to me than perception in price. That's not to say that the most expensive products aren't the best; I do genuinely believe my company's products are the best and I believed that before I ever worked here; it's one of the reasons I came to work here. In paint and body, I don't have the years in or experience to know right away if something is the best quality, which is where everybody else comes in who does. That's also why I think it's so important to hear EVERYBODY out.

Here's my main issue with throwing Will (and others, like Pat) under the bus--they're actually here in physical form giving a **** about us and our hobby or profession. Do you think DuPont does? Hell no. PPG? Get effed. What kind of care and support will we get when the turds start falling and we need the phone support? Sounds like a lot of you pro's already know the answer to that one. So it seems disingenuous to collectively poo on the people who are actually here making an effort to care about what we're doing. I'm not advocating blindly accepting someone just because they're 'nice' even if their product is crap...that will sort itself out if it is.

This I can promise you, based on conversations I've had with the Barrys, Pats, and Wills, regardless of what you do or don't think of their product: when you have problems, they will give you support, and probably reconcile it in a way that was entirely too generous and not necessary on their part, because that's how good service works.

All I'm saying is when someone is making a genuine effort, I'll give them the benefit of a doubt and take it for a drive. You never know when you could be missing out on the next SPI.

#20 ·
No offence Will,or should I say The coating store? but the only thing I need is factory colors that SPI does not make and no offence to Liz either but its guys like US that are here to help ,we help out anyone that needs it without any expectations of making money doing so...that's why we do anonymously....
..........................................................Mike at Wyld Rods and Customs...

#24 ·
My shop is filled.....people just don't have the extra money for pretty paint. I Closed my big shop a few yrs ago with plans to retire and just build my own cars but little by little that plan changed , I did a fender for an old customer ,a small job for another and now I'm back in full body shop mode and haven't even touched my old car in over a year,so getting more work isn't the problem...the problem is the cost of QUALITY materials that will hold up for the long haul..at a reasonable price.For those of us that have been doing this for 20-30 yrs its not uncommon to see one of our paint job 15ys later looking like it was painted this year....Using lower quality materials takes the same amount of labor but after a year the clear might be whitish or even peeling and that's just the paint what if the epoxy that covers the metal fails. We simply can not take a chance ,not with someone elses hard earned money. The reason I,m here is because I love building or fixing up cars ,always have and I wanted to share what I've learned in my 35+ years of doing it.Iremember Iwas a 14 yrold kid working in my Moms driveway too no money noskills just a desire to build a cool car and do it myself and getting ripped off at the junk yardand guys at the paint supply store selling me crap because I didn't know any better...who does that to a kid?so that's why I hold a lot of contemptfor these guys and try to help anyone that needs it ,us hotrodeders and car guys need to sticktogether and help each other and Mostly that's whatwe have here.
So where you from Pawel ? Mississippi?

#25 ·
I think most of the ole guys have been to the rodeo and got the y-shirt to prove it. But back to Kandy...

In the old days before one could call and order a premixed Kandy we shot a base to full coverage. The we would mix say a 1/2 pint or pint of color into our clear and shoot that until we got the effect we wanted. once we were happy then we shot some clear to have something to buff. Still about the same deal but with urethanes it has made life a bit more complex for us.

Now to get exotic effects one uses a certain color of base then a Kandy coat in the color one likes.. then clear over that. Some painters spend a ton on paints of different colors to get what they want in a paint job as they shoot a lot of test panels.

Life gets easier when one has a supplier that makes a Kandy kit for you.

Sam

#27 ·
There is a LOT more to it than what paint to use, that is more of a personal preference to some degree. There is prep work, body work, metal work, etc, then you need to completely dis-assemble the car, removing all of the trim, moldings, door and window seals, windows, most of the interior, all exterior body panels that bolt on, etc, to do a correct and complete color change. If you want to do it the cheap way, rub it down with dawn and a red scotch brite pad, dry it off, and mask off anything you don't want to paint black. Going to a different color, I would recommend using a sealer then applying the paint. There are countless brands of paint out there, some good, some not. You can decide how long you want it to last or what you want to pay , either of those will be your deciding factor. Next question is where do you plan to paint this car? Do you have a booth, garage, barn? Do you have the necessary tools to do the work needed, air compressor (generally need a 15 CFM or larger for painting), sanders, grinders, paint guns? And lastly but definitely not the least, do you have the needed safety equipment, N95 mask for sanding, charcoal style respirator for priming and painting (a supplied air system is probably better and safer)? Not being a butt head, just much more to it than point and shoot.

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.