View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 08:00 PM

Last journal entry: "Z" construction
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Re: Paint

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles F. Smith
When I bought my Mercury it had a flying eyeball (ala Von Dutch)painted on the trunk - don't want it. Any suggestions on how to get it off?
My first impulse is to CAREFULLY scrape it off with a new razor blade and then use polishing compound or 2000 grit sandpaper with water/soap on it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since this is a beautiful flawless paint job and I sure as hell don't want a blemish in it.
Charlie Smith
When I want to take (It was probably done with1 shot enamel) lettering off without damaging the paint underneath I use rubbing compound and just slowly rub it off, being careful to not rub beyond the lettering. If the paint Job is a base coat clear coat I will sometimes add a little oven cleaner to the rubbing compound to speed up the process but use caution. Oven cleaner can damage non clear coated paint. Especially if it's a metallic paint job. If you rub the paint with rubbing compound and you get color on the rag it's NOT clear coated. I do this all the time re-lettering Fire trucks, etc. and have never had a problem.