paint advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

paint advice

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have already had several questions answered just by reading the posts.
But, Need advice on painting a van.
I have bought the paint so I have no choice but to use it.
The paint is silver metallic acrylic enemal.
from what I read this is a hard paint to use.
I did paint it about two months but it had thin spots and orange peel
So now it is ready to paint agan.
The first time with the gun I went straight from left to right, But from what I read I think I should go straight with first pass then second time at a 90 degree can someone explain this more to me ?
thanks,
gene

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 12:13 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

first off single stage metalic is THE HARDEST to spray and look good, ESPECIALLY for someone new to painting. The only paint that recommends a 90 difference in spraying between coats is IMRON. You just have to make sure your passes are consistent, you distance is consistent(8-10 inches depending on gun)
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Did you use a hardener in your first paint job? If not you could still have a lifting problem when you repaint. Don't try to get all your shine in one coat if your a newbe or not use to a single stage paint. Put it on med wet and work up to the shine you want. Give it plenty of time between coats when you can touch it with out it sticking to your finger your about right. As far as spray pattern on a sliver I try not to stop my spray at the same spot on all coats and some times I will change to a different angle depending how it's going on. But I can tell by flow what it needs I've maybe painted 100 or more sliver cars in my day with every thing from straight enamel to base clear.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Try to apply it evenly and consistently as possible, set up gun for correct spray pattern (can find in a search many places that explain setting up gun and what a proper spray pattern should look like on a test sheet), and keep gun parallel at proper distance, with a good overlap-At least 50 percent of your previous spray stroke with your next. Good wet coats so you have good gloss, but not too heavy or too low on pressure which will only contribute to mottling (not going to be able to buff out ss metallic)

If still getting a blotchy or striped look to the metallic, even though your gun is set up properly and your technique is good, then spray a panel normally, go to the next, then back to the previous shot panel and spray a mist coat right away. I like to do this by bumping up the pressure a bit, backing off the gun distance, and spraying at a diagonal -different cross angles across the panel. This should help to even out metallic. You have to get the correct timing, that you spray a panel or two, and when you go back to do your mist coat on the previous panel, it has set up just enough that when you do your mist coat-putting more material on the panel, it won't only contribute more to the mottling or striping, but done soon enough that the paint you shot on that panel is still wet enough to accept the mist coat, so it doesn't end up killing the gloss, or look dry or rough. Don't use too fast a speed reducer.

I shot some single stage metallic enamels when I was fairly new to spraying (but did have the hands on guidance of instructors the first few if needed along with a nice school booth), so its sure not undo able, but not the easiest thing to shoot, specially silvers and light blues. Basecoat sure makes metallics easier to shoot and not quite as much jumping around panels when it doesn't just lay evenly out of the gun and you have to do some more work to get it to.

Even though I've now done a bit of spraying over the years, and would know how to shoot a single stage metallic, I probably wouldn't do it any more, with how much better and easier base clear urethane is, along with having the ability to buff if wanted, and easier repairs in the future.

swvalcon is right. Enamels can have some re coat issues, sensitivity, specially if a hardener wasn't used. I'd never shoot enamel without hardener, the little extra in cost for the benefits, it would be kind of dumb not to.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground
first off single stage metalic is THE HARDEST to spray and look good, ESPECIALLY for someone new to painting. The only paint that recommends a 90 difference in spraying between coats is IMRON. You just have to make sure your passes are consistent, you distance is consistent(8-10 inches depending on gun)
Thanks Underground for the good advice, I repainted today
and so far it looks very good. I only painted part of the van
because I plan to two tone it.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvalcon
Did you use a hardener in your first paint job? If not you could still have a lifting problem when you repaint. Don't try to get all your shine in one coat if your a newbe or not use to a single stage paint. Put it on med wet and work up to the shine you want. Give it plenty of time between coats when you can touch it with out it sticking to your finger your about right. As far as spray pattern on a sliver I try not to stop my spray at the same spot on all coats and some times I will change to a different angle depending how it's going on. But I can tell by flow what it needs I've maybe painted 100 or more sliver cars in my day with every thing from straight enamel to base clear.
Thank very much Swvalcon for your help, Yes, I did use a hardner. I repainted today and so far it looks very good. I plan to two tone the van so I only
painted part of it.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
Try to apply it evenly and consistently as possible, set up gun for correct spray pattern (can find in a search many places that explain setting up gun and what a proper spray pattern should look like on a test sheet), and keep gun parallel at proper distance, with a good overlap-At least 50 percent of your previous spray stroke with your next. Good wet coats so you have good gloss, but not too heavy or too low on pressure which will only contribute to mottling (not going to be able to buff out ss metallic)

If still getting a blotchy or striped look to the metallic, even though your gun is set up properly and your technique is good, then spray a panel normally, go to the next, then back to the previous shot panel and spray a mist coat right away. I like to do this by bumping up the pressure a bit, backing off the gun distance, and spraying at a diagonal -different cross angles across the panel. This should help to even out metallic. You have to get the correct timing, that you spray a panel or two, and when you go back to do your mist coat on the previous panel, it has set up just enough that when you do your mist coat-putting more material on the panel, it won't only contribute more to the mottling or striping, but done soon enough that the paint you shot on that panel is still wet enough to accept the mist coat, so it doesn't end up killing the gloss, or look dry or rough. Don't use too fast a speed reducer.

I shot some single stage metallic enamels when I was fairly new to spraying (but did have the hands on guidance of instructors the first few if needed along with a nice school booth), so its sure not undo able, but not the easiest thing to shoot, specially silvers and light blues. Basecoat sure makes metallics easier to shoot and not quite as much jumping around panels when it doesn't just lay evenly out of the gun and you have to do some more work to get it to.

Even though I've now done a bit of spraying over the years, and would know how to shoot a single stage metallic, I probably wouldn't do it any more, with how much better and easier base clear urethane is, along with having the ability to buff if wanted, and easier repairs in the future.

swvalcon is right. Enamels can have some re coat issues, sensitivity, specially if a hardener wasn't used. I'd never shoot enamel without hardener, the little extra in cost for the benefits, it would be kind of dumb not to.
Thanks very much for your help, Yes, I did use a hardner.
I repainted today and so it looks very good.
Your advice and the others sure made the different.
I will try to get a picture when the job is complete.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.