Paint Blisters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 AM
St Louis Blues fan....

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Blisters

My '60 Vette was painted about 14 or 15 years ago.... About 5 years ago some small blisters started to appear mostly under the front headlights... But there are a few blisters on the driver's door (near door handle)...

Any ideas what could cause these blisters? How can I patch up these blisters? A few car friends I asked believe I may have to re-paint the whole car... A few others voiced red is a hard color to match even if I do have the paint code number (which I do)....

Cheers

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blisters.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	47739  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

The picture was not what I was expecting to see.

It is a gassing bubble and after 15 years the only time I have seen that kind of bubble is a vette that has been painted in enamel or a single stage with factory lacquer or lacquer product underneath.

Don't really matter as at this point only way to fix and car must be stripped.

This is the same type of bubble you will see on a vette when a third paint job is added to a vet and normally after 30 days of sunlight.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

as barry said there is no fix. you could cut them out and brush touch but we know how that would look. imo there is lacquer under there or chemstrip. the lacquer should start to solvent pop soon as in tiny bubbles and then it will start to have 3 point stars . dont have a clue why they show up as 3 point but they do. this is very common on repainted vettes that were done in the 70's and 80's . good luck with it .

Last edited by shine; 08-27-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 AM

If that paint job has lasted 15 years it aint done bad and for red it looks in quite good shape apart from the blisters. I would take it to a few paint shops and ask what they can do fot you. But dont get talked into a big job as a good painter could tidy that right up no problem. Out of intrest can you post a picture so we can see more of the car?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

once this type of failure starts there is no fixing it.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 AM
St Louis Blues fan....

Last photo:

As requested a few photos of my Vette....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My-Vette01.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	701.5 KB
ID:	47741   Click image for larger version

Name:	My-Vette02.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	843.9 KB
ID:	47742   Click image for larger version

Name:	My-Vette03.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	47743   Click image for larger version

Name:	My-Vette04.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	47744  
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Nice car Ken now that I have seen the car i would for sure try and get some recommendations of good body shops ant try and get a small local repair done on the affected areas.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM

like the others have stated the correct way is to strip it and then re-do,not cobble it up by patching

on the other note ,paint being hard to match is funny b/c for the most part it can be,lol!!!!!!!

it is a solid color no metallic pearls or such which helps.

if you have the paint code and the brand of the paint used,that's a big step in the color matching process

was it lacquer,single stage?

most all paint suppliers(PPG,Dupont,Shrink and wrinkle,ect.)have numbers they can cross so you can use Base coat,clear coat.

if it is single stage and you want to stay single stage that's okay to.

i can blend single stage so can a lot of others and make it look great.

getting paint to match takes time and patience surely there is someone around you who has a few good notches in the belt and can get it spot on for you with out totally re-doing the car.

have you really looked over the car good to make sure these are the only places that it is happening?you need to look close and take your time.

might be amazed what you can find by really eyeballing your car and get a few extra set of eyes to help.

it will generally start as a very tiny blister,one that you may not see right away.the reason im asking is it would suck to re-do the fenders and the door and 6 months or so find new spots coming up and there you go again with patching 1 thing at a time.

very beautiful looking car and id be proud to have that in my stable,best of luck,Travis
Old 08-27-2010, 01:02 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i have been doing corvette restorations since the early 70's . 15 years is nothing for a paint job on an early corvette . done properly it should never have this failure in the first place. after all it does not set in the driveway every day. this is a substrate failure and is just the tip of the iceberg. before i would let some hack go trying a car lot repair on it i would leave it be. there are no formulas for the colors anymore as the toners are completely different now. best you will get is a computer match which will be the closest available. example , venetian red out of the computer will actually be poppy red which is a ford color. same match for hugger orange be it gm or dodge. this will mean a lot of tinting to try to match. you wont find many professional painters who will want to attempt a repair on it. reason being they will know what the problem is and what a possible train wreck it can turn into. leave it be and enjoy it or do it right.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Paint blisters

First off this being a fiberglass car the blisters are not created by the dreaded rust. Now this is rare to find this so many years after the repaint but it appears the paint is reacting to whatever is under it. You would normally see this much sooner. Red indeed is an extremely difficult color to match, one of the most difficult. Due to normal UV reaction to the paint it fades over the years and this fading makes the colors nearly impossible to match. So my answer to your
paint problem is to strip the existing paint, yup the whole car, and start from scratch. Since the blisters are showing on now more than one place the problem is the coating under the red is on the entire vehicle, or on any spots that were damaged or extremely rough.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
St Louis Blues fan....

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPARINMYCAR
Nice car Ken now that I have seen the car i would for sure try and get some recommendations of good body shops ant try and get a small local repair done on the affected areas.

Thanks...these are all recent photos. One on the hill and by the Charger were taken last weekend at a car meet....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM
St Louis Blues fan....

Last photo:

Just remembered something... A few years (about 7) ago I sprayed some type of anti-rust spray (Rust Check - it's like a heavy WD40) inside the fenders on the headlight buckets. The blisters seem to be near the area where some of this spray may have come in contact with....

Could this be a possibility?

Thanks

Ken

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.