Paint blisters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint blisters

I remember not to long ago someone had posted about their car having small pimples or blisters in the paint that looked like it was coming from under the paint. Here's what I found on the latest job that I took in. It's a 66 chev 2 dr hardtop and had the same blister that the other guy had. The car has factory paint plus one cheap paint job. Looks to be from a few years ago. Looks to me that they lightly scuffed and painted over paint that should have been stripped on the hood and everywhere there was a bad spot in the old paint it now has a small rust spot under the factory paint and e-coat. It's getting stripped and epoxyed this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003-04-15 03.35.01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	92002   Click image for larger version

Name:	2003-04-15 03.35.14.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	92010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2003-04-08 04.13.24.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	92018  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That does look like the other fellows situation....nice car, glad he brought it to you to be taken down the way it should have been done last time.

Ray
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Yep, I am the fellow with the '59 belair that had similar issues. Question, I found that on mine it was only on the horizontal panels. I had no issues on any of the vertical panels.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPin View Post
Yep, I am the fellow with the '59 belair that had similar issues. Question, I found that on mine it was only on the horizontal panels. I had no issues on any of the vertical panels.

After reading that again I guess that wasn't much of a question. Any reason it would only be on the horizontzl surfaces?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

This is only on the hood and some on the trunk lid. But the trunk had been worked on and seems to have been stripped and no epoxy used which was normal I would say when this was most likely repainted. Looks to be maybe a maco or cheap used car type paint job. Looks like the paint on the hood was in pretty sad shape and they just scuffed and repainted.Not real sure of the cause yet but may have it figured out when its all stripped. Every one of those little pimples is a small rust spot under the factory e-coat.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

My guess is that on the flat to[ surfaces is where the paint can be pounded on much heavier than the sides. I what's over top of lacquer is put on to heavy, it can lift the lacquer (especially in spots where the lacquer is week, perhaps bleached by the sun....on top panels) slightly, apply more product to cover the area that's lifted and hope for the best. The rust could have been starting before the new paint job...the new paint just cover it.

Ray
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvalcon View Post
This is only on the hood and some on the trunk lid. But the trunk had been worked on and seems to have been stripped and no epoxy used which was normal I would say when this was most likely repainted. Looks to be maybe a maco or cheap used car type paint job. Looks like the paint on the hood was in pretty sad shape and they just scuffed and repainted.Not real sure of the cause yet but may have it figured out when its all stripped. Every one of those little pimples is a small rust spot under the factory e-coat.
I believe the problem is from oil and water coming out of the sanders exhaust...its pretty common in econo shops where the body shops air supply isnt filtered well or neglected then it gets primed without proper W&G prep ...most of these shops only use a W&G when it gets in the paint line....
Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

Deadbodyman. I dont see as that could be it as this is to even and over the whole hood. Now the trunk I may buy that as it was just in spots. Also I don't know as what water or oil would travel down though both the factory paint and sealer and e-coat to cause a rust spot as big as a pencel point. Plus there are hundreds of them over the whole hood. every one of those little black dots in the factory finish in the picture is a very tiny rust spot.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

likely just solvent pop . which can happen years after it is painted. especially lacquer . and the tiny bubble will have a little rust spot under it .
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I'm with Deadbodyman on this one. Looks like oil or water. In any case, stripping it down is the right thing to do. Then again, as Shine said, it could be trapped solvents, which would explain why it's on the flat surfaces. Not sure but when I see that I instantly think of oil/water.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Lacquer is a sponge, especially if it's old paint (original) and has been sanded, it will suck up solvents quite quickly from a fresh paint job...it can start to wrinkle or lift leaving the pimpled look. Knowing lacquer and the age of the vehicle, I still think that the rust was most likely there before the fresher paint.

Ray
Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

When I bought my '59 with a similar problem it had been sitting outside for two years in the rain under a very absorbent car cover. When I got it to my place and washed it for the first time I noticed all the bubbles. On some of the bigger ones on the trunk lid, when I pressed on them I was actually able to pop them and rusty water came out from what appeared to be sealed paint. It blew my mind.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

worst thing you can do is cover a car outside.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

This is or was factory lacquer with a enamel repaint. All gone now. The blisters where everywhere on the hood and all basicly the same size. It was on the hood only and what was on the trunk lid was a product of the last guy that painted it. I'am starting to think maybe acid rain or something caused by the heat from the engine and was there when it was repainted and just never removed and got larger with time.Odd because it is not on the roof or the header panel or the tops of the fenders.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

only one paint job over orig paint ?that baby must be sweet...I wonder if its possible that the air supply filters at the factory were letting moisture through...did'nt they use regular ole lacquer primer over steel back in the 60's? I always get confussed when someone says E coat ,I still dont know for sure what E coat means Epoxy? electro static application?...?????? some people say E coat and its the clear coating over the metal before they apply primer that you can only see when you grind a spot.....hymmm...but that all has to do with newer cars starting in the 90's

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.