Paint booth setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint booth setup

I have scoured this forum for paint booth setup and I have a few questions. To start with I'll describe what I plan so far. I am not really decided on how my paint booth is going to be built. I could put up a drywall partition and have half the garage for car work and half to serve as a paint booth, but I think for the initial painting I am going to use throw away plastic tarps. As far as air flow I want about 1 air exchange per two minutes. To meet this, I have purchased two old hvac fans for 25$ a piece. They output about 800 cfm (2-ton) with no static pressure and have a high and low speed setting. I think I am going to set these guys up in the attic and place filters up there. The air will be channeled through ducting into the paint area from overhead. The exhaust will leave through a large pvc pipe. The pipe will have holes in it laid and be laid at the side of the boot. The pvc pipe will merge into a filter box and then go out the window in my garage.

I would kind of like to go for a downdraft booth since this is the best way to paint. I was wondering if I built a wood platform with holes in it, and ran the air through that if I would get the same effect as a downdraft booth and would it be worthwhile? I am planning on buying a hobby air air supply unit. (It is the cheapest air supply unit I could find) and also buying a good air/water separator and paint gun. One thing that is missing in the setup above is the exhaust fan. Ideally you would have a slight positive air pressure in the booth, so that dust in cracks gets pushed out instead of pulled in. But also if the fan is in the fumes then you also need an explosion proof fan which are pretty expensive. So I am hoping to get away with this setup. As for lighting what do you guys recommend? Does these have to be explosion proof? I would like to use full spectrum florecent bulbs but I am not sure if I need fixtures.

Now I am just wondering if anything I am planning on doing is incorrect or there is something I am missing. Experienced paint guys feel free to chip in here. This is my first time setting this all up and there are a lot of factors involved.

Thanks for your input. -Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

generally lights in a booth are explosion proof but the should be mounted on the out side with glass between the interior of the booth and the fixture. As far as being positve pressure inside the booth it is generally in vacum so all cracks should be sealed with caulk. Air flow in a downdraft arrangement is best but if you can't dig a pit have the airflow go out the side at the bottom. I've used crossflow, downdraft, and side downdraft. paint cleanliness really is just in the prep of the car and booth. Good luck and hope I helped

kris,
Old 03-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Tonhammer
generally lights in a booth are explosion proof but the should be mounted on the out side with glass between the interior of the booth and the fixture. As far as being positve pressure inside the booth it is generally in vacum so all cracks should be sealed with caulk. Air flow in a downdraft arrangement is best but if you can't dig a pit have the airflow go out the side at the bottom. I've used crossflow, downdraft, and side downdraft. paint cleanliness really is just in the prep of the car and booth. Good luck and hope I helped

kris,
Thanks for the response. I think I am going to be building a booth here soon. drywall for the walls. I am going to use tempered glass with ordinary flourecent light fixtures behind them. For downdraft, I have been studying the booths they sell and they are just as you say. I think in constructing my booth I'll put a box down the center for the exhaust air. Lay the filters down there and exhuast the air outside. Also have ramps to get the car a 1ft or so off the ground, up higher from tbe box.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:17 AM

I built one that could be taken apart and the wall sections stacked up, if your interesred in any of it, its on my site here.

Rob

http://www.1969supersport.com/

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.