Which Paint Brand is Best? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Which Brand?
SPI 2 16.67%
BASF RM Diamont 1 8.33%
Dupont ChromaBase 7 58.33%
Kirker 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which Paint Brand is Best?

I've been looking at all kinds of paint and have gone cross eyed... I can't for the life of me figure out what color let alone what brand. Could some of you paint guys give me the pros and cons on these brands. If it matters it will be my 3rd paint job and I'm using a Sata Jet RP2000. I'm keeping this Blazer till I die so I want the paint to last at least that long, lol... I know the paint job is in the prep, I just need to know what product is the easiest to shoot, the best coverage and the best durability. So far I'm leaning toward SPI.
Base coat/Clear coat

SPI
BASF RM Diamont
Dupont Chromabase
Kirker

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 08:13 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

PPG ... but thats on a another level all together
Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Tough call - they all have their pluses and negatives. I personally like the DuPont paints - though I'm not in love with my current paint job. Some colors cover well and others need more base coats sprayed on - like the color I'm using - Venetian Orange, a 2008 Mustang GT color.

I like the SPI undercoats and clear coats, but have no experience with their base coats. For that, I suggest that you go to the SPI forum and discuss. From all reports I've read, most like it plus and a very big plus, you can give Barry a call if you have a problem. The only problem - not a lot of dealers so it might have to be sourced via Baker PBE

I have used BASF Diamont with great success - but I no longer have a supplier here. This probably would have been my choice over the DuPont

PPG is available, is very good, though their undercoats nomenclature has confused me, but the distributors are too far from me and "wont work" with me.

No Kirker available here.

I can buy Martin-Senour at NAPA, but the counter folks have no clue - untrained in paints. I have used it - and as long as you know the product, you are fine

Sherwin Williams - but again, too far. A couple of custom painters locally swear by it though.

Dave W
Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,119 Posts
Dave, Martin Senour, and Sherwin Williams are the EXACT same products with different labels on the cans. I mean EXACT as in when I was a rep for Martin Senour I would take labels off a Sherwin cans and put Martin Senour ones on!

This is no "trade secret", there are LOTS of companies who do this.

Every single company will give you a quality product. There are no across the board every single product poor, or every single product fabulous company out there.

Go with who you feel is treating you right, go with who is providing you answers and products are easy to get for you.

This may change from area to area. I have been places where every where you turned PPG was there, you would see their delivery trucks everywhere you turned and signs on every shop. I don't care how much you liked SPI or Dupont, you just were not going to get any in that town!

In other places, Martin Senour and the local NAPA store had it all wrapped up, some NAPA stores know paint!

Anyone who says "This paint is the best and I will never use anything else" in my opinion is no painter. A real painter will walk into any shop and paint what brand that shop is painting, PERIOD. And these painters make everything work, anything they put in the gun works just like the last brand they were shooting. I have seen this over and over, those are real painters. It is mostly about an attitude, you make work what you have access too.

Brian
Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Dave, Martin Senour, and Sherwin Williams are the EXACT same products with different labels on the cans. I mean EXACT as in when I was a rep for Martin Senour I would take labels off a Sherwin cans and put Martin Senour ones on!

This is no "trade secret", there are LOTS of companies who do this.

Every single company will give you a quality product. There are no across the board every single product poor, or every single product fabulous company out there.

Go with who you feel is treating you right, go with who is providing you answers and products are easy to get for you.

This may change from area to area. I have been places where every where you turned PPG was there, you would see their delivery trucks everywhere you turned and signs on every shop. I don't care how much you liked SPI or Dupont, you just were not going to get any in that town!

In other places, Martin Senour and the local NAPA store had it all wrapped up, some NAPA stores know paint!

Anyone who says "This paint is the best and I will never use anything else" in my opinion is no painter. A real painter will walk into any shop and paint what brand that shop is painting, PERIOD. And these painters make everything work, anything they put in the gun works just like the last brand they were shooting. I have seen this over and over, those are real painters. It is mostly about an attitude, you make work what you have access too.

Brian

Brian - I had no clue that M-S and S-W were the same. I DO know that the local NAPA folks don't make me want to use their parts or services - but that is my opinion of the 3-4 stores locally as they wouldn't stay in business if they were all that way and everyone felt that way.

I fully agree with you about where you buy the paint and how they make you feel and really said that. I do occasionally go into the shop that sells PPG - but they are too far for a regular trip - and when I said wont work with me means as a hobby guy, they wont go that extra inch to keep my paint business wants.

Locally - if you want PPG, it's a 45-50 mile round trip. DuPont, 22-25 and in my 9-10 mpg truck........makes a big difference as well as the price delta.

NAPA - 12 miles RT, but.....see my comments.

SPI, thats 3-10 days from Baker PBE, depending on his stock and UPS. (Sorry Barry ).

Now - the coffee is done and I'm in need

Dave W
Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

I was just looking at the poll up above. Is SPI a complete system? I didn't think they had base-coat. I may be wrong. Just clears and reducers, primers etc.right ?

As far as what paint is best. IMHO...NONE, they all work if used properly and they all have problems from time to time. Now what am I most comfortable with....it depends what I am shooting. But I like ppg the most all around.That is just me though. I have used MS and sw and they are the same(went to a sw school and they just cover up the ms sign out front with a sliding thing ...they did this depending on who 's product they were training people for). But I don't find that stuff very user friendly but it works. I have used PPG, Dupont, Sikkens,Glasurit, RM, HOK and more that i cant remember at the moment and well anyway, they all worked if used as per the tech sheets. Some may have preformed better and were easier to use but they all worked. Of course you will get different answer for every painter on this subject. The question is what can u afford to buy, then what is the best for that amount. JMO Tim
Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets cut it up
I was just looking at the poll up above. Is SPI a complete system? I didn't think they had base-coat. I may be wrong. Just clears and reducers, primers etc.right ?
Tim

SPI is a complete system though the BC color selection is not yet very extensive. They have a beautiful flame red as well as a blue with several colors in between, like Grabber orange that had I known about it in time might have considered.

Dave W
Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I have used DuPont and Sikkens over the years. I think my best results were with Sikkens. I use primarily DuPont right now mainly because of ease of access and my DuPont jobber takes care of me. I am going to try SPI sometime in the near future. Several reasons to try SPI, there are members here who swear by it, Barry puts some dang good tech info on his site, I have PM'd Barry for help with my paint work (DuPont not SPI) and his advice helped immensely. I need to plan better and get my paint from SPI for the next paint job.

Last edited by cyclopsblown34; 04-17-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
I have used DuPont and Sikkens over the years. I think my best results were with Sikkens. I use primarily DuPont right now mainly because of ease of access and my DuPont jobber takes care of me. I am going to try SPI sometime in the near future. Several reasons to try SPI, there are members here who swear by it, Barry puts some dang good tech info on his site, I have PM'd Barry for help with my paint work (DuPont not SPI) and his advice helped immensely. I need to plan better and get my paint from SPI for the next paint job.

I am going to try SPI also on my next paint job. I got try it with all the good things being said about it.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets cut it up
I am going to try SPI also on my next paint job. I got try it with all the good things being said about it.
I'll post my results when I use it. I am just extremely impressed with Barry's knowledge of paint in general and all the good things said about his product.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for input fellas. I'm still leaning toward SPI. My only problem is I've already bought Dupont Epoxy primer and Nason 2K primer. Will the SPI base and clear work over these? I guess I should call Barry.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

SPI will work fine over most ANY thing. I already told you this,Mike85.
I was a diehard Dupont guy and still am for base color,BUT, ALL my undercoats,epoxy to primer are SPI and then I choose a base color and "if" SPI is not in the game,I do Chromabase,THEN, It's SPI Universal clear.
SPI is loosly based around PPG reducers so PPG reducers work just fine.Chromabase is different with their Basemaker reducer which IS needed for THEIR base, Same with S&W,They have their own "system" and you best use their reducers if you plan on their base.Cross/Fire is a different system from S&W too,So don't think S&W reducer will work with it cause it won't.Been there,done it.TechBase is the same as S&W so your cool with S&W reducer.
Once the base is laid,It really does not matter what clear you use as long as it's a QUALITY clear. People talk about "warranty" of a paint job. Got news for you bro,Your no big time shop and you will have NO warranty,PERIOD.They will consider it YOUR fault and
"See ya".
SPI is THE only supplier who will warranty homeboy paint jobs.I know cause I had some of their inter coat craze on me and Barry was MORE than willing to pay me for the failure,which was really MY fault for leaving the IC uncleared for weeks and I was just amazed that he would even offer. THis was a lawnmower,no big time 32 Ford so the man IS a stand up guy.Baker shipped me regular base color instead of single stage, Jeff told me to use it and they would credit me the difference and ship me out the correct paint N/C.I had some MS activator go bad shortly after opening it and using about 1/4 can and I got a new can of activator N/C. BEAT that for customer service.Local or nation wide.
SPI RULES!!!!

Last edited by Bee4Me; 04-17-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Sounds kinda like getting some buns from Burger King , a couple beef paties from Jack in the Box ,A bit of lettuce from Taco Bell and then call Ronald McDonald and ask him if it will taste like a Big Mac :
Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Breads bread, Mayo is Mayo, Beef is beef,
It's all in HOW it's cooked together.
Some people don't have the luxury of having paint stores and REPUTABLE jobbers locally. I got both Dupont & PPG owned by the SAME jobber BUT, I have to pay out the butt for PPG vs. Dupont. So WHY???
I've used about EVERY paint system except BASF and they ALL work together NICELY as long as you follow a FEW simple rules.
KNOW YOUR PRODUCTS.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:06 AM

The orange parts - all of the undercoat materials are SPI. The color coat is DuPont Chromabase Venetian Orange. The clear is SPI Universal. You can't see it in the photo, but they are slick as....well, you know. I'm finally color sanding and final buffing the rest of the body (yesterday, today and probably tomorrow) which was done the same way - in October. The clear is a bit tough to level with 1500/2000, but appears to be just as nice after final buff with Presta 1500. And I'm a rank amateur, helped along by these folks here and on Barry's SPI forum (most are the same people)

(Yes, that is a temporary spreader bar behind the gas tank for those who might wonder about my sanity )

Dave W

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.