Hot Rod Forum banner

Paint cans

9K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  496CHEVY3100 
#1 ·
May not be in the right category so Mods feel free to move if need be. As I have been thinking lately, I wondered why nobody makes a paint can (gallon and quart sizes) in a shape similar to the ones used for activators, that way one could pour paint, primer, and clear without making such a mess. Just a thought I had as I was cleaning the drips off the side of the can and out of the rim to get a seal.

#2 ·
May not be in the right category so Mods feel free to move if need be. As I have been thinking lately, I wondered why nobody makes a paint can (gallon and quart sizes) in a shape similar to the ones used for activators, that way one could pour paint, primer, and clear without making such a mess. Just a thought I had as I was cleaning the drips off the side of the can and out of the rim to get a seal.
They do,or use to it was called ditzler i still have some old can with paint still in them probably bad,now called PPG.they might still have it if ask for ,I use Dupont and , House ok Kulor now for the candy dupont for all others NO not because of Jejj Gordon:welcome:
just a tip take a wedge shape peice of masking paper tape to can as a spout .drill a 1/8 hole just inside the lip of can where paint can drain back in can and not splatter when you replace the lid ,you Must use sheet plasiic between lid and can to keep from drying prematurre

#3 ·
I have put small holes in the rim of the can so it would drain, but I don't like doing that because it doesn't seem to seal back very well. I also had a few good points on another forum that if it were in the tapered top cans similar to activator it would be immortal H*** to add mixing tints and to stir would be virtually impossible. I used to have some lids for gallon cans that I bought at a hardware store that looked like someone had take the plastic spout from a 5 gallon pail and put it in a 1 gallon lid. I loved those, but haven't been able to find any for a few years. I know Lowes has a plastic version, but it is for the house paint style cans and will not fit automotive cans.....wonder if people would buy something if it were cheap enough? I may need to start a little spare time project.

#6 ·
Had an "awl" on the paint mixing bench my whole life to punch three or four holes around the edge and never had a problem with it, the can doesn't seal there, it seals round the outer edge of the lip.

Brian

#9 ·
I tryed those snap spouts and they worked good the first time but if you dont clean them and try to use them again the new paint will lift the old paint and dried paint will get in your new paint you can strain it out but they're just too much trouble.the tape is great just throw it away when your done......
And Why is it when you drip paint down the side of a can it always, always, always, covers the part you need to read later on, the the paint code or the reduction???? .
A smart man (not me) would put tape over those spots too just in case...Hey ,Thats Spi epoxy primer, someones been listening....

#11 ·
I still have o e of the plastil lid covers. They do work but by the time you clean them back up, they are more trouble than they are worth. IMHO.

The timing of this thread is perfect though. This morning I just opened up my first can of SPI Epoxy. I tried the 1 1/2 inch tape trick for a spout. Man do I feel stupid. What a neet trick. It worked perfectly. I have been making messes with paint cans for 45 years and at age 68 learn how to pour paint without making a mess?

Oh well, at least I know now.

John L

#14 ·
Real men wear nitrile :cool: I wear nitrile gloves all day in the lab. It's all I know to put them on when I work on my car, too.

I'm a nitrile glove snob too. I had to go through several brands in the stockroom at work before I found some I liked. However I will say the Harbor Freight nitrile gloves are pretty good by an extremely picky scientist's standard.

#15 ·
Real men wear nitrile :cool: I wear nitrile gloves all day in the lab. It's all I know to put them on when I work on my car, too.

I'm a nitrile glove snob too. I had to go through several brands in the stockroom at work before I found some I liked. However I will say the Harbor Freight nitrile gloves are pretty good by an extremely picky scientist's standard.
Real Men ? work on cars or in a lab LOL.:spank:

#17 ·
I dont know why but I have a box of nitrle gloves at the paint bench and always forget to put them on...but when I'm working with bare metal I always remember and have walk all the way over to the paint bench to get a pair...and why is it every time I paint a black car my dang wife made plans for us to go out to dinner with friends...you ever try to get black paint out from around your nails it looks just like grease...I always end up using the wifes finger nail polish remover with a scrub brush and scrub my hands raw and still have to hide my hands mabee I'll wear the nitrle gloves at the resturant :mad:

#21 ·
I have used those UpandComing but found they had to be meticulously cleaned in the groove that snaps over the can. No big deal with latex house paint, But time consuming and expensive with urethanes and if not perfectly clean you can get junk in your paint out of the groove.

I always think about the reducer and time it takes to get the dang thing clean again. I guess with paint being 400 dollars a gallon, I should throw it and my mixing cups away each time but that is not in my psychological make up.

I like the 1 1/2 tape trick. It matches my personality. :mwink:

John L

#22 ·
mine too ...cheap ....It can be a bit embaressing sometimes ,when you open your wallet and a moth flys out...my butt cheeks tend to squeek sometimes when I walk too....
Jonh,do you rinse out those disposable mixing cups until the ink disappears ??? now those are worth cleaning,I buy one every year whether I need one or not ....Old veggie cans work great with a mixing stick for me,those big cans of Bush baked beans are nice and for mixing a gallon I just cut the top off an empty reducer can with a pair of snips (I save them and qt size hardener cans too)...It makes me cringe when I go to a shop and see a painter throw a perfectly good mixing cup in the trash after using it one time....

#23 ·
I swear to God Mike, you have been hiding in my garage watching me work. Yes the ink does eventually go away. I sometimes cut notches in my stir stick like at 4-5-6 inches for a 4-1-1 mix. Just fill the can to the correct notch with each material and stir. I am really thankful that someone understands my emotional needs. I think frugal is the correct word for my condition but it is not the one most people use.

John L

#29 ·
Well one time .....I was painting at a shop with mostly black guys that I conciderd my friends and being a guy that loves a good laugh I stuck a paint strainer under my white head sock so I looked like a member of the KKK while painting the car ....some people have no sense of humor at all....I dont think I'll ever do that again....Well .....not in Ga anyways....:sweat:

#35 ·
I would be glad too. There are folks in church who have no love in their heart for God I am sure. The scripture says man was created for God's pleasure so I hope it pleases him that I went to church today to say thanks. By no means do I think going to church makes me a Christian or buys me a ticket to heaven. Only His love and grace can do that. I am indeed thankful for both though.

Reading Kelly's post made me realize that stir sticks are indeed the original multi-tool.....and they are free. :)

John L

#34 ·
They are actually multi-purpose tools, panel alignment, mock up shims, sanding blocks, paint mixing, paint measuring (cut notches or use a pen to make marks at 4:1:1 or what ever mix you are using which I love especially for primer because you can mix a VERY small amount), wedges, fire starters, and give me a little bit I'll think of a few more :thumbup:

Kelly

#36 ·
You know what's funny, I didn't use wood stir sticks in years and years. I have now do because of the mixing cups with the mixing ratios on them. But for years and years I used the metal ones with the mixing ratios and even before then I used a plain metal one that was cleaned every time. Honestly, I don't believe I had a single wood stick for the 13 years I had it. Damn, I now after reading these ideas I wish I would have, I missed out on some good tricks. :thumbup:

Brian

#37 ·
You know what's funny, I didn't use wood stir sticks in years and years. I have now do because of the mixing cups with the mixing ratios on them. But for years and years I used the metal ones with the mixing ratios and even before then I used a plain metal one that was cleaned every time. Honestly, I don't believe I had a single wood stick for the 13 years I had it. Damn, I now after reading these ideas I wish I would have, I missed out on some good tricks. :thumbup:

Brian

Yeah they are handy even if you don't use them for stirring lol. I used probably 20-30 of them when putting the front end back on the 56 we just finished a few weeks ago. We just started the bolts in everything and started using the sticks as shims and spacers under the radiator support, between the support and fenders, at the back of the fenders etc until we got everything lined up and nice gaps. Once we got it all lined up I used regular shims and tightened everything down. I like using them because they are easier to add or remove than the metal shims and are less likely to scratch anything until you get it looking good, then just use real shims to get the same thickness and replace the sticks. Plus I have used them for door gap spacers. Cut them in short pieces (about 2" or so depending on how much curve the panel edge has) and tape them to the panel with a piece of 3/4 tape across them to hold them to the door. works pretty well as a starting point and it keeps you from banging the edges of the panels together and chipping the fresh paint.:thumbup: Just a few ideas that you may or may not have ever used.

Kelly

#39 ·
I reuse mixing cups, stir sticks, and even the used strainers for my dirty solvent, used in first rinse.
The way I look at it is this. The paint sticks, and mixing cups are cheap, until you need one Saturday afternoon, just after the paint store closed. Then suddenly it makes a lot of good sense to clean them so you can reuse them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.