Thread: Paint cans
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You know what's funny, I didn't use wood stir sticks in years and years. I have now do because of the mixing cups with the mixing ratios on them. But for years and years I used the metal ones with the mixing ratios and even before then I used a plain metal one that was cleaned every time. Honestly, I don't believe I had a single wood stick for the 13 years I had it. Damn, I now after reading these ideas I wish I would have, I missed out on some good tricks.

Brian

Yeah they are handy even if you don't use them for stirring lol. I used probably 20-30 of them when putting the front end back on the 56 we just finished a few weeks ago. We just started the bolts in everything and started using the sticks as shims and spacers under the radiator support, between the support and fenders, at the back of the fenders etc until we got everything lined up and nice gaps. Once we got it all lined up I used regular shims and tightened everything down. I like using them because they are easier to add or remove than the metal shims and are less likely to scratch anything until you get it looking good, then just use real shims to get the same thickness and replace the sticks. Plus I have used them for door gap spacers. Cut them in short pieces (about 2" or so depending on how much curve the panel edge has) and tape them to the panel with a piece of 3/4 tape across them to hold them to the door. works pretty well as a starting point and it keeps you from banging the edges of the panels together and chipping the fresh paint. Just a few ideas that you may or may not have ever used.

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-13-2013)