Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Paint cans (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/paint-cans-228232.html)

carolinacustoms 01-10-2013 06:49 PM

Paint cans

May not be in the right category so Mods feel free to move if need be. As I have been thinking lately, I wondered why nobody makes a paint can (gallon and quart sizes) in a shape similar to the ones used for activators, that way one could pour paint, primer, and clear without making such a mess. Just a thought I had as I was cleaning the drips off the side of the can and out of the rim to get a seal.

496CHEVY3100 01-10-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinacustoms (Post 1633320)
May not be in the right category so Mods feel free to move if need be. As I have been thinking lately, I wondered why nobody makes a paint can (gallon and quart sizes) in a shape similar to the ones used for activators, that way one could pour paint, primer, and clear without making such a mess. Just a thought I had as I was cleaning the drips off the side of the can and out of the rim to get a seal.

They do,or use to it was called ditzler i still have some old can with paint still in them probably bad,now called PPG.they might still have it if ask for ,I use Dupont and , House ok Kulor now for the candy dupont for all others NO not because of Jejj Gordon:welcome:
just a tip take a wedge shape peice of masking paper tape to can as a spout .drill a 1/8 hole just inside the lip of can where paint can drain back in can and not splatter when you replace the lid ,you Must use sheet plasiic between lid and can to keep from drying prematurre

carolinacustoms 01-10-2013 09:33 PM

I have put small holes in the rim of the can so it would drain, but I don't like doing that because it doesn't seem to seal back very well. I also had a few good points on another forum that if it were in the tapered top cans similar to activator it would be immortal H*** to add mixing tints and to stir would be virtually impossible. I used to have some lids for gallon cans that I bought at a hardware store that looked like someone had take the plastic spout from a 5 gallon pail and put it in a 1 gallon lid. I loved those, but haven't been able to find any for a few years. I know Lowes has a plastic version, but it is for the house paint style cans and will not fit automotive cans.....wonder if people would buy something if it were cheap enough? I may need to start a little spare time project.

jcclark 01-11-2013 05:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1.5" tape, that's all

496CHEVY3100 01-11-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcclark (Post 1633470)
1.5" tape, that's all

that makes an exellent spout, ive used that ,but i still get paint splatter if i dont srill small hole in rim , i use masking plastic especaly por 15 it seals good makes it easy yo remove lid ,some use sandwitch wrap ,hope this helps someone ..:D:thumbup:

MARTINSR 01-11-2013 07:51 AM

Had an "awl" on the paint mixing bench my whole life to punch three or four holes around the edge and never had a problem with it, the can doesn't seal there, it seals round the outer edge of the lip.

Brian

killeratrod 01-11-2013 08:12 AM

home depot has a pour cap that snap on to the top of gallon cans, it all so has a screw cap on it. They all so sell a plastic rim or lip that snaps in where jcclark puts the tape.

deadbodyman 01-11-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcclark (Post 1633470)
1.5" tape, that's all

If you go all the way around the can with tape it works even better...

deadbodyman 01-11-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killeratrod (Post 1633516)
home depot has a pour cap that snap on to the top of gallon cans, it all so has a screw cap on it. They all so sell a plastic rim or lip that snaps in where jcclark puts the tape.

I tryed those snap spouts and they worked good the first time but if you dont clean them and try to use them again the new paint will lift the old paint and dried paint will get in your new paint you can strain it out but they're just too much trouble.the tape is great just throw it away when your done......
And Why is it when you drip paint down the side of a can it always, always, always, covers the part you need to read later on, the the paint code or the reduction???? .
A smart man (not me) would put tape over those spots too just in case...Hey ,Thats Spi epoxy primer, someones been listening....

deadbodyman 01-11-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1633501)
Had an "awl" on the paint mixing bench my whole life to punch three or four holes around the edge and never had a problem with it, the can doesn't seal there, it seals round the outer edge of the lip.

Brian

Thats what I do too..:thumbup:

John long 01-11-2013 02:15 PM

I still have o e of the plastil lid covers. They do work but by the time you clean them back up, they are more trouble than they are worth. IMHO.

The timing of this thread is perfect though. This morning I just opened up my first can of SPI Epoxy. I tried the 1 1/2 inch tape trick for a spout. Man do I feel stupid. What a neet trick. It worked perfectly. I have been making messes with paint cans for 45 years and at age 68 learn how to pour paint without making a mess?

Oh well, at least I know now.

John L

Lizer 01-11-2013 04:58 PM

I use the paint spouts too, and reuse, and reuse...when I'm done, I wipe it off with a paper towel, then with a paper towel that's wet with lacquer thinner and it's clean...

Not to mention they make it easy to scrape the stir stick.

John long 01-11-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizer (Post 1633720)
I use the paint spouts too, and reuse, and reuse...when I'm done, I wipe it off with a paper towel, then with a paper towel that's wet with lacquer thinner and it's clean...

Not to mention they make it easy to scrape the stir stick.

LOL, You probably remember to put your latex gloves on too. I wait until I have paint up to my elbow. I am thankull that at least now it won't be dribbled accross the work bench. :thumbup:

John L

Lizer 01-11-2013 06:14 PM

Real men wear nitrile :cool: I wear nitrile gloves all day in the lab. It's all I know to put them on when I work on my car, too.

I'm a nitrile glove snob too. I had to go through several brands in the stockroom at work before I found some I liked. However I will say the Harbor Freight nitrile gloves are pretty good by an extremely picky scientist's standard.

496CHEVY3100 01-11-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizer (Post 1633750)
Real men wear nitrile :cool: I wear nitrile gloves all day in the lab. It's all I know to put them on when I work on my car, too.

I'm a nitrile glove snob too. I had to go through several brands in the stockroom at work before I found some I liked. However I will say the Harbor Freight nitrile gloves are pretty good by an extremely picky scientist's standard.

Real Men ? work on cars or in a lab LOL.:spank: