paint code help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 04:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

paint code help

if anyone has some older color chip books handy , i could use some help. i'm going to be doing a complete on a 1988 jeep commanche for a guy at work. he can't come up with a paint code for me. he's letting his nephew use the truck until friday , and i want to start on it saturday morning. so i would like to have the paint code sorted out before then. it's a medium / dark grey metallic , and hopefully it's the only grey metallic offered on that model for that year. if anyone can help me out i would appreciate it. thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 07:16 PM

what type paint are you using, your local paint supplier should have no problem helping you with this , some even have color chips from the 60's and 70's. the jeep doesnt have the color code anywhere.?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:38 PM

i can't look at the truck until saturday , but the guy said he couldn't find the metal plate on the core support , where the code would usually be on that year chrysler. he said there is some tag in the door jamb , which isn't legible. i could go to a jobber and flip through the books and find it , but i'm trying to avoid that if i can. i'm getting the basecoat ( sherwin williams )through my brother who works for six flags , in their paint / fiberglass shop. he can get it really cheap for me. he doesn't have books that go back far enough and i would feel stupid flipping through a jobbers book and then walking out without buying anything ( but i may still do that ). right now i'm not painting at a body shop , i'm doing industrial spray painting , so i don't have access to automotive chip books. so i thought just by chance , one of the painters here might have some old chip books handy and could save me some leg work.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:41 AM

The AMC code for the only Gray in the chip book is CC Sherwin Williams formula 37020. Don't know what line of paint you are using. Also the chipbook notes that AMC added code CX gray met. after chip book was printed. Its from Chrysler code PA7 formula #37290 and they look similar under artificial light anyway. hope that helps.
Ray
Old 06-29-2005, 04:24 PM

thanks ray, with the color code CC , i hit a few touch up paint sites. it seems that with the '88 comanche , that was the only grey metallic offered and it's called dover grey metallic. now i can just give my brother the code , and he can mix the paint for me. thanks again for your help.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 PM

Last journal entry: Dash mods
Last photo:

Search here for paint codes

This web site has paint chips and codes listed for just about any car, truck from the past 70+ years.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/scri...sid=0721210140
Old 09-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Great paint information, thanks....

Great Web Site, hard to find info, easy to use.....Thanks..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.