Paint Color Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 07:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Color Question

Was at the car show this weekend and saw a couple of car colors that were new to me. ..probably old stuff to you guys. You know the Cadillac white that looks sort-of frosty? I think they call it diamond white but not sure. Well, I saw come colors like gold or orange that had that same look...sort of frosty and glowy (OK...OK...I can't describe colors worht a toot ). The owners were not around the cars, so can you guys help me figure out how those colors are done?

Thanks a lot!!

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Could be a pearl from what you say..How the final looks depends on how it was mixed..The white is done with a white base with the pearl mixed into a clear then the whole thing is cleared..At least from what I know..Course I can be corrected..

Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 PM

you are definately looking at paint with pearl in it. check out the House of Kolor web site. I am currently in the process of painting my 31 5 window ford coupe with candy tangerine . they have some awsome colors .
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips. So you think it is a color base with pearl in clear over that then a final clear over it all? Do you know if this is done with a regular 2-stage base or candy base? Any idea where I might get the amount of pearl to use? I have never shot pearl and have heard that too much or too little and it looks terrible.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Yup. White base,white & gold pearl in an intercoat either binder or HOK sg-100,clear.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Oh Man Bee! You have some great looking stuff! There is no way I can do anything like that, but I'm willing to mess up some panels until I get the look.

So to get that Cadillac frosty look, how much pearl do you put in a quart of intercoat? When you say intercoat, like House Of Kolor sg-100, is that something different from the final clear? Sorry for all the dumb questions.

Where are you from in Arkansas? Big chunk of my family is from the Little Rock - Conway - Russelville area.

Dave
Old 03-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I myself woudl reccomend that one goes to House of Kolor and get their book on custom painting..And your paint jobber should have the tech manuals that lay out how to mix and use the Material..

Sam
Old 03-30-2006, 11:47 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

You can buy small pkgs of dry pearl inexpensively on Ebay.
There's lots of different colors.
A good way to experiment.
I've used some of them in graphics and they worked good.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 AM

I've got a 57 Buick that I had painted in 05 Cadilac colors.White diamond pearl and Redline.The colors are awsome.The white goes from gold's to whites to ivory pearl depending on the light. People just love it.I went to a Cadillac dealer, got one of their brocures to get the color name to get the code.The white diamond pearl is a special order color.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:15 PM

the pearl is not that hard to shoot You can get premixed colors or you can get dry pearl. I have only used the premixed colors from House of Kolor. If you go to their web site you can find the nearest dealer. give them a call. their color charts are around 50.00 Kind of high but come with the instructions. pearls are mixed 2 to 1 along with base coats. no catylist until the clear coat. I have found they are fairley easy to spray, and Im no expert.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

I've got a job lined up that the owner wants painted the Cadilac White Diamond pearl. I agree the color looks nice but I might try and formulate a comparable color out of HOK pearls. Has anyone here mixed a transparent/weak white base tint, some intercoat clear and white pearl. I think if the weak white was used very sparingly it might work well with the pearl for sprayability and coverage over a white base, if not I guess it would just muddy up the reflection. Some of the OEM tricoat white colors really suck to repair.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

You really should check into the factory packs for a specific "known" color scheame as it's MUCH easier than trying to concoct your own thru MUCH trial & error. That's a popular pack and the Lexus is even better IMO than Caddy's.

Thanks for the kudos and it's really a LOT of fun,expensive,but fun. Custom paint is ALL about experimenting and being that I never was very good at following directions,I came to it naturally. Hehehe.

You can do pearl in ANY clear transport or paint for that matter,depends on what your after, it's just that sometimes you need several coats to achieve the desired effect or it's totally wrong and you need to "adjust" so using it in the clear coat means you better have it right. It's cool to build sg-100 or a binder (paint without the color pigment) as it's really just a coat of paint,not the build like clear or possiable solvent issues with it from stacking on multiple coats.
If you use HOK then get some powder or paste and mix some up with sg-100. Usually a tsp. per sprayable qt. sometimes 2 just depends on lot's of variables.
If you shoot Dupont,get some Nason 150 binder and reduce it 1:1. I don't shoot PPG but it's something like DBC-500 basically, PPG's binder I believe.

Like OMT said, Pick up HOK's Tech Manual from a local supplier. It's a wealth of information on how to properly use most of the custom stuff. It will save you a ton of $$$ wasting supplies on seat of your pants experimenting. I use it almost everyday if I'm having doubts about something and his Secrets of Kustom Painting is another must have.

I'm South of L.R. in East End and my sister lives N. of Russellville.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Bob, You should have no trouble with the pearl. IMO the reduced white would muddy it up as the white pearl is very subtle anyway. Kosmoski recommends over reducing the pearl around 20% anyway. Basically what I did and it sprayed out beautiful.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.