Paint consumption? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Paint consumption?

Hi guys I am spraying dupont centari acrylic enamel black color using a conventional style sharpe model 775 spray gun. It is supposed to be used at around 50 psi according to the directions. I sprayed about 4 coats to cover a hood for my scout. Now it took a little over a quart to do this. The hood is horizontal not vertical so I have to keep enough paint in the cup to hold it parallel with the ground and keep paint in the siphon tube otherwise the gun will spit when low. Here is my question:

-Does this sound like more than normal paint to use to cover a hood with 4 coats?

-This sharpe gun seems to spray out alot of paint set at 50 psi at the gun, could I get away with less coats when I know I will be wet sanding and buffing out the paint?

-I use to use a Devillbliss gun at 30 psi and the paint seemed to last longer, would that be due to the psi difference from 50 to 30 or just a different gun design?

-Is this sharpe 775 conventional gun known for laying down alot of paint or waisting paint into the air????

thanks.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Last photo:

conventional/compliant

Typically I like to set gun needle for max flow, fan full width, and just enough PSI to atomize paint well. Excess PSI will waste paint. Then I do a test spray out to get a feel for how fast to move gun. Some variables like nozzle size may force you to choke the flow and fan...
Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

BTW it is fun to practice using some similar viscosity scrap paint on scrap sheet metal to get a feel for your gun.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

50 PSI you are getting a terrible transer efficiency. Id hazard to guess maybe a quarter of that quart made it on to and remained on the panel.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

That sounds like a lot of paint to me.
I usually figure 1oz sprayable per 1 sq. ft. of surface.
That gives me about 3 coats.
But that's with a HVLP.

I used to use the Sharp 775, it's a great gun.
I sprayed at lower psi than 50, more like 40.
But that was a long time ago.
Try that and see how it does.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies, it seems like the paint is going too fast, but I am not a painter so I can't say for sure. I tried the gun at 30 psi and it seemed to spray more orange peel. But I have not tried 40 psi. I'll try that next.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

paint consumption

I used to work in a paint shop back in the late 80's shooting acrlic enamel (sorry for the spelling) ..We had a binks and a devalvis and we run about 35 to 40 pounds for paint jobs If we were doing like a dashboard we would crimp the hose and spray as to not get a bunch of dust in the inside... Our paint jobs always looked like glass with we had a methed...We would go around and spray the body lines first then a light tac coat then a heavy tac coat then you could pile on the last coat which was a gloss coat our paint jobs always looked like a million bucks......jdhemin
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhemin
If we were doing like a dashboard we would crimp the hose and spray as to not get a bunch of dust in the inside...

You crimped the hose to temporarily and quickly reduce air flow to the gun?
You did that to avoid changing the gun air flow and air regulator setting?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 AM

Last photo:

Remember, the gun you are using was somewhere between 22-26% transfer efficiency rating and the guns today are 65-80, so old math or new math, yes you will use at least twice as much paint as someone with a newer gun.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Itís pretty much as BarryK put it. A little over a quart isnít really out of the realm of normal when you consider the equipment used and the air pressure you used to apply it with. 35 to 40psi should have been sufficient. You never mentioned what you used to reduce it with. Makes a difference.

When I spray enamel or BC/CC I use Dupont 3661S lacquer thinner exclusively regardless what manufacturerís product I use. Even in cooler weather, just let it flash longer between coats.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Back when I was shooting Centari, an average size car, 3-4 coats, would take a little less than a gallon. Mixed would use a little over a gallon. I always used a DeVilbiss gun at 50-55# at the regulator So shooting a hood and using a quart does not seem too extreme.
Then again, was the hood sealed or just primer? Light Sealer / primer or dark colored?
What thinner were you using and what tip on the gun?
You also mention the gun spitting when it ran low. Which way do you have the siphon tube pointing. Most have a slight bend in them and the bend should go towards the front of the gun, so when you are holdfing the gun horizontal or almost horizontal, the tube will be in the lowest corner.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

I know the sharpe 775 well (actually have two of em). I was the first gun I bought when a got a job out of body school in 91. I still used it to shoot clear till about 3 or 4 years ago. I believe I used the sharpe to clear the 89 cavalier, the green 2000? cavalier and the green grand prix in my gallery. I've sprayed a lot of paint jobs over the years with the sharpe 775.

Now I have a good hvlp I use for clear and both the sharpes need a good cleaning and possible rebuild, but don't see that happening.

Its not too bad of a gun, but does seem to require more dumping on of the clear to avoid dry streaks. More then I remember shooting clears in the early 90's with it. But A paint saver it is not. I'd say your consumption is about in the ballpark.

Now that I've had the opportunity to use my iwata a bit, it lays the clear much less effortlessly. don't have to lay the clear as heavily, nor do rarely have to go back over a panel because it could use more clear, nor have experienced any dieback or leathery looking areas the next day.

Can't remember what exactly I shot at, but I am a pretty close painter, and try to keep the pressure down a bit. I'd guess I probably shot somwheres around 40-45 on large panels and completes. That gun I always shot with wide open fluid (open fluid while holding the trigger, open it up till you know longer feel your fingers moving, and turn back in fluid till you first start feeling your fingers move again.) and widest undistorted fan I could get.
I'd start somewhere around 40 is, and bump it up as needed based on what your seeing reading the paint, or if your getting too much orange peel or runs.

Remember those old siphon feed guns were designed and in use when most clears and paints were lower solids then today. You could try overreducing your paint some, lowering the solids, which will make it easier for the gun to break up and atomize the clear, and with lower solids and a decent air pressure, orange peel would be harder to get. Just allow a good time between coats if you do add extra reducer, because of the added solvent that will have to escape.

Last edited by kenseth17; 12-08-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Great replies,...guys!
Boy, that Sharpe sure brings back a lot of good memories.
Paint and equipment have come a long way since
my lacquer and enamel days..........in the 1970's

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.