Paint design for Freightliner Classic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 06:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Paint design for Freightliner Classic

Hello; my husband just bought a freight-liner classic in a cream color outside and black leather inside. Its is very plain and simple. My question is i would like some information on how to go about getting a custom paint design for his truck something nice. I didn't discuss this with him because im planning to get it done as a surprise as a gift. Im sure theres some things that can be done to hook it up in as well but one thing at a time. I look forward hearing from you. Thank you; and have a nice day.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

My suggestion is to talk to a few shops in your area and see If someone is willing to paint it and discuss it with them. There are shops that specialize in painting big rigs but not all custom paint. I work on semis where I work, but they don't do a lot of custom painting, most of the graphics and lettering are done in vinyl. They use mainly imron there since most semis get a lot of miles on the road and need a paint that is durable. Check around with a few shops and see if they will do that large of a project and do custome and get some references and ask about what kind of work they do. Maybe the right place can throw a few ideas together. As far as what to do is hard to say. What one person may like, another may hate. The possiblys are endless in paint and graphics, how far do you want to go and spend. There are all sorts of graphics (flames, scallops, ripped, ect, ect, ect and 3 stage flake, pearls and special effect paints if you really want to go wild and spend some money. House of kolors is probably one of the better known companys speciallizing in custom paint. hokpaint.com Maybe you can visit your local paint supplier and start looking at some colors in chip books or custom paint chips if they handle that too. Keep in mind that the color you see in the books may not look exactly like it will when sprayed. Hopefuly it will be something your husband will like, what colors does he like, interests, did he ever mention he liked a certain color on a car or a certain paint job? Say he is a real big fan of fishing or something, maybe you could get part airbrushed with that theme. Or will he like a basic paint job or maybe something simple like a two tone. You kinda have to be the judge of what your husband would be interested in since this is a surprise for him. You can do a lot of searching on the internet and look at pictures for some inspiration, and read up on what different. Visiting custom motorcycle sites you can see what alot of custom finishes may look like, since these are often done with candy paint and graphics. So to some up all this rambling, someone can give you a suggestion on what they think will look cool, but its gotta be something you and your husband are going to like. I guess you have some thinking to do. Its tough deciding on paint. I have been looking for just the right color grey for a few weeks now and have to choose soon. Its much easier when you just have a paint code and go pick up the color you need. Also, I would be interested in how you plan on explaining why the truck is gone. Something that big, if going custom could take awhile to get done.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Ohh, I should have added, keep in mind paint is pricey and there is a lot of area on a semi. If you start talking 3 stage and complex graphics on a semi, I can't even imagine the cost in materials in time. If you are looking into custom paint then you may want to limit what you do depending on your budget. Vinyl is cheaper, but many will say how much nicer painted graphics are. Other things that may be done is adding chrome or stainless, painting the tanks, stuff like that.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.