Paint does not match - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 AM
point on positive

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another point of interest is did the insurance company steer you to or suggest the shop or is it one you picked ?

Some colors are really a challenge. Even just a spray of clear
(no color) will change them darker..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 05:48 PM

paint doesnt match

fbird 88 said it... the car SHOULD be returned to pre-accident condition. I have always had this issue with the OTHER guys insurance company. I am a painter and went through this same ordeal when I had some kid stop his suburban in the middle of the intersection and I t-boned him. front clip was replaced on my truck the front clip did not match the rest of the truck. If I had painted something like this in my shop I would have used variance cards, let down cards, and blended the doors and recleared the entire cab. But that is just the type of work we do in a quality shop. After many phone calls to his insurance company I finally called MY insurance guy took my truck to him after all his company insures the truck. I also contacted my bank which has the loan on the truck.They threatened to sue. the other guys insurance company reopened the claim and repainted the truck. If people would not settle for mediocrity it would start to cost the insurance companies more to fix cars and I guarantee you things would change.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:41 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Since you are in Gloucester, you are not far from me. One problem with the insurance companies here is how they look at blend panels. There are a couple of companies that will not pay for blending on any panels that have any type of damage on them. That includes any door dings or any chips in the paint that they can find. Their reasoning is that the panel already needs painting, so they won't pay for it. That puts the shop/painter in the middle. They ae ultimately responsible with making you, the customer, happy with the job.

As far as what was actually done to the vehicle, you have a right to a copy of that repair order/estimate. It should show all parts and labor that went into the repair. That includes, if the part was replaced with aftermarket (A/M, Quality Replacement), used (LKQ, Recycled), or OEM. The insurance company, if they wrote the estimate, should have provided a copy of the original estimate that they were paying by. If the estimate was written by the shop as a "Direct Repair", the repairs should have been explained, in detail, before they were started.

As was pointed out by someone else, often there will be a slight color change with the addition of another coat of clear during the blend.

Aaron
Old 04-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

re: Paint does not match

Well we had our little meeting with the insurance adjuster today...

First off he agrees that the paint does not match but said the blending done on the fender is the closest that should be expected. He seems to believe that it not being made to match the undamaged door is ok and he will not authorize further paint repair...

Today I was given a copy of the insurance estimate. I looked it over and it is very detailed as far as what was seen BEFORE repairs were made. In light of this I called the body shop and asked for a copy of the actual work order. They told me there was no work order, the estimate IS the work order and receipt, and repairs were made strictly according to the estimate. This leads me to believe that there may be more damage that was not found during the estimate and maybe some that was not reported to the insurance company by the body shop.

Monday the Jeep is going to a local dealership to have the steering looked at. The steering is abnormally tight, almost like the tie rods or drag link were way over tightened, the steering wheel is at 11 o'clock going straight, it pulls hard right and at times will suddenly take off to the left.(Rack and pinion maybe?)

Anyhow I told the guy that I'm not going to just go away because he said no to fixing the paint and he should expect to hear from a lawyer in the very near future.

And to top it all off I am now working 7 12's on a night shift(I found out when I got here today) instead of 10's...So the only time I will get to see my wife and kids in the foreseeable future is going to be at 55 in opposite directions on US 17...Rant over thanks for listening

Bill
Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Let me point out a few things on body shop repairs.

1) Estimates, specially ones done by insurance adjusters, are notoriously inaccurate, and there are more often than not, supplements done. Although it used to be that insurance companies wanted accuracy, that has changed. Now they want the estimates written light, then supplements done for additional damages found. That way they reduce their costs.

2) Many shops will repair panels and parts that are written to be replaced. They will substitute the repair time for the part cost, making their bottom line look better, because they don't have to spend the money for the part. That is often not disclosed to the vehicle owner unless they show up while the vehicle is being repaired.

3) The body shop did the work for you, as the customer. Even if you were sent to that shop by the insurance company, you were the customer, not that company. Some companies in this area will inspect a vehicle, or have it done in a qualified shop, to determine if the repairs were done as described in the estimate submitted for payment. If there are discrepancies, they will often pay another shop to correct the repair, and bill the original shop.

I would request a copy of the final estimate for the repairs. That is the estimate that they actually paid on, including all supplements. I can assure you that I would have a detailed receipt from the shop for any repairs that they claimed they did.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.