Paint dull and hazy after color sanding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint dull and hazy after color sanding

Hey guys, I painted my car with chromabase/chromaclear and it came out pretty good. Just a bit of orange peel. I color sanded with 1500 wet, then 2000 wet. Then buffed with 3m Perfect it II 5973. Now the finish looks very hazy and has no depth to it. What kind of polish should I put on it??? It looked great when I first painted it but after doing all this it now looks dull and hazy. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Did you finish with anything? Normally, after you apply the rubbing compound it should look good, but in sunlight you will have swirls. Also how long did you wait befeore color sanding?

I use the

Rubing compound
Next 3M(TM) Perfect-It(TM) 3000 Swirl Mark Remover 06064,
Last 3M(TM) Perfect-It(TM) 3000 Ultrafina(TM) SE, 06068

I did a Black Corvette, and man did it shine!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

How long did you wait to sand and buff? If you do it too soon, you will suffer "dieback", which is because it was not cured enough.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 AM

How long did you let the paint cure after painting, If you did it too early that could be the problem. We use chroma clear at the shop and we experience similar situations. We usually bake the car in our heat room for about 3 hours, Im not sure what the equivalence that is to dry curing, but give it another day and try again. It doesnt matter what brand of compounds you use just make sure to do it in this sequence...1:rubbing compound.. 2:Swirlmark remover(optional).. 3olisher. And it aslo helps to have the right buffing pads. 3M makes a yellow colored pad for all compounds and a gray pad for all swirl mark and polishes...
Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_times
How long did you let the paint cure after painting, If you did it too early that could be the problem. We use chroma clear at the shop and we experience similar situations. We usually bake the car in our heat room for about 3 hours, Im not sure what the equivalence that is to dry curing, but give it another day and try again. It doesnt matter what brand of compounds you use just make sure to do it in this sequence...1:rubbing compound.. 2:Swirlmark remover(optional).. 3olisher. And it aslo helps to have the right buffing pads. 3M makes a yellow colored pad for all compounds and a gray pad for all swirl mark and polishes...

you bake a car for 3 hours? wow what is the temp of that room??
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 AM

Its not a very efficient bake room. We use it mostly in the winter to speed up curing time. It doesnt have a thermometer, but id have to say at least 80-90 degrees. If I paint a car in the morning its usually ready for buffing and detail after lunch.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 AM

why not just use a faster drying clear or add accelerator to it ? if doing a small spot a heat lamp maybe more efficient. But I do understand what you are doing and we all have to do what we have to do
Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Well not to drag this discussion out but iv noticed in the past when i use an accelerator it kinda dulls the shine(my opinon). But since i started complaining about the chroma clears curing time(even in the summer), the shop let me start using transtar(2:1 euroclear).. I must say if you want a very nice shine with a greatly reduced curing time, You should try Transtar!!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

It was a little over 4 days since clear coating. The car sat in the garage all 3 out of 4 days. 1st day was 50 degrees, 2nd was 58, 3rd was 67, 4th 70 and sat in sun most of day. I used chromaclear snap dry HC-776s clear coat with basemaker 7765s activator (50-60 degree.
I tried the Perfect it polishing compund today with a gray foam pad and it cleaned it up a lot but the paint still doesnt have a lot of depth to it. It just doesnt "Pop" like I want it to. (Its chromabase DM517 Violet metallic black). Maybe I just didnt spray it right. I dont know
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

put out the bucks for the 3M "system", you can wet sand as you like but finsih with the 3000 trizact pads on a good DA, then follow with all three compounds with their matching pads. you will like the results.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.