Paint experts,please step inside. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Last journal entry: Shift boot...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint experts,please step inside.

Is it possible to make a paint repair and blend the clear to where the repair is 100% unnoticeable on a panel with no cut lines or panel separation?I scratched the hood on my car,had it fixed,blended and now its possible to see the repair.I think the entire hood needs to be cleared in order to be completely satisfied but Ive been told that it is possible to blend the repair and have it look 100%.Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Last journal entry: Hood
Last photo:

Honestly your best bet would be to just clear the whole hood to be happy with it. Most blends will eventually come back over time.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Last journal entry: day # 6 1929 ford wheel and body mach up .
Last photo:

crisers

i beleave panellwagon is corect the clear coat edge will peal after awile and start to flake and turn white in a jaged way
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

Blend the color, then clear the panel is the correct way
Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Yes, in current repair terminology, a "blend" means to blend the base color, and clear the entire panel.

An "open blend" is where the clear is "burned in," a very common procedure in years past where the clear or SS color overspray is melted with blend solvent. The problem today is that nearly all finishes are too solvent resistant for this to be an effective alternative.

That's why many shops no longer perform this procedure, inevitably the "burned in" edges will begin to show, especially once the vehicle has been exposed to the elements and/or is machine polished.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

What do you mean by they are to solvent resistant? Meaning it is harder to actually have it melt correctly?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Last photo:

What he means is that after the original clear has cured it is for all practical purposes solvent proof. You try and blend in a new layer of clear and the fringes will not melt into the older clear but lay on top which will show.

Vince
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Alright, after I posted I actually read it a few times and figured it out. Thanks for clarifying though.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
What is funny is that the person doing such work is running around in circles and working MUCH harder than they need to be. Blending out color and then covering it all in clear on ANY panel is the easiest way to do it. I don't care if it is a tiny mark on the bottom of a quarter panel. To clear the whole panel is MUCH faster than trying to spot it, and it sure as heck is MUCH, MUCH faster than doing it over when the blend fails.

Brian
Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
Yes, in current repair terminology, a "blend" means to blend the base color, and clear the entire panel.

An "open blend" is where the clear is "burned in," a very common procedure in years past where the clear or SS color overspray is melted with blend solvent. The problem today is that nearly all finishes are too solvent resistant for this to be an effective alternative.

That's why many shops no longer perform this procedure, inevitably the "burned in" edges will begin to show, especially once the vehicle has been exposed to the elements and/or is machine polished.
How do collision shops blend in body panels then? Or are you saying that body shops don't do blending anymore? I know you can shoot clear over hood, bumper, door, etc. but what about when you have to blend quarter panel into roof?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmaks
How do collision shops blend in body panels then? Or are you saying that body shops don't do blending anymore? I know you can shoot clear over hood, bumper, door, etc. but what about when you have to blend quarter panel into roof?

If you HAVE to blend into the roof panel then you do. But 99% or more of todays car have a roof moulding that you can stop at. You clear the whole roof rail but don't have to go up on the roof. VERY few cars made in the past decade have no place to stop.

Brian
Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Most of the cars will be at junk yard before a quality blend fails imo. Most people don't keep their cars for 10+ years anymore
Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

We have a life time of ownership warranty.

Brian
Old 11-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmaks
Most of the cars will be at junk yard before a quality blend fails imo. Most people don't keep their cars for 10+ years anymore
I disagree somewhat. The problem with such a generalization is that there is no way to know how the vehicle will be treated. Two opposite examples:

1) A daily driven vehicle is parked in a driveway or at curbside, or in an open parking lot at work. The owner sometimes uses machine car washes when pressed for time, and has the vehicle polished once or twice a year at a detail shop. Depending on the UV index of the area, failure in this case could be rapid, if the blend lasted over two years that would be surprising.

2) A garage kept vehicle is driven mostly on weekends. The owner hand washes it, and hand waxes it twice a year or so. In this case, an open blend might last indefinitely, though eventually a sharp-eyed owner might be able to pick out the ghost of the blend area once the very slight abrasion of hundreds of hand washes starts to slightly erode the edge of the clear.

There is a bit of irony here, in that open blends have the best chance of success on the types of vehicles where they are least likely to be used.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
There is a bit of irony here, in that open blends have the best chance of success on the types of vehicles where they are least likely to be used.
LOLOL, how true. But again, we remove EVERY SINGLE PART from a panel for a blend, EVERY SINGLE PART. We are talking mouldings, handles, windows, EVERY SINGLE PART.

First off, we get paid for it. Obviously there is the "customer" thing, if the customer is willing to live with an open blend and fully understands the savings, that is his choice.

But we bill to remove all the stuff and that is all there is to it. If the customer doesn't want to blend the adjacent panel, sure we can work with that. But if a panel is being painted, EVERY SINGLE THING is coming off that panel.

So, we get paid for it, so why not do it right?

Now, my other point is it will usually take you less time to do it with an open blend! If you think about the time spent prepping for the open blend, the time spend performing the open blend, and the time spent babying the polish of the open blend, OFTEN (not always, I understand) you would save time by simply prepping the whole panel and painting and clearing it.

And if you account for just ONE failed blend (during polishing you cut too much or what have you) that you have to roll back into the shop and re-do you have just lost all the time you have saved on the last 20 open blends!

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.