Paint on fiberglass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 06:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Paint on fiberglass

Well I do have a question what is the best way to paint fiberglass surfaces without flaking and peeling?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Last photo:

Clean first with hot soapy water.
Block sand with 80 grit
Clean with wax & grease remover
Apply two heavy coats of a quality 2K primer/surfacer
Block with 180
Wet sand with 400
Apply base and clear

Vince
Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 AM

Thanks

Hey thanks Vince I didn't realize that you should wax and use grease remover.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Not wax and then the grease remover. Its called wax and grease remover. Waxing would really ruin your day.

Last edited by 46chevyfleetline; 09-06-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:05 AM

Last journal entry: Getting closer!
Last photo:

Hold on a minute tex....read more closely and follow the above mentioned advice....waxing that patch would really set you back some time!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

If it were mine, I use 180 on the fiberglass, then 2 coats of epoxy.. let set overnight, and come back and 2k.. Be careful with abusing the 2k.. making sure to allow proper flash times. and even a little extra flash if the coats are heavy.. then block it out so you can base and clear..

Everyone does things differently.. This is simply how I would do it.. You have better adhesion with epoxy, plus it seals the fiberglass, where as 2k will soak in
Old 09-10-2006, 01:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Clean first with hot soapy water.
Block sand with 80 grit
Apply two heavy coats of a quality 2K primer/surfacer
Block with 180
Wet sand with 400
Apply base and clear

Vince

Since I have some nasty shipping gouges on my Wescott fenders, when do I make filler repairs - before the 2K - or 2K, filler then more 2K. My inclination is before the 2K and use 'glass type filler I'm not planning on using epoxy on these fiberglass pieces. I don't believe that the 'glass will require this added protective step. The rest of the steel car gets epoxy.

Dave
Old 09-10-2006, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

If you have a gelcoated surface and you haven't broken through to raw fiberglass anywhere, then I believe 2k urethane alone would be fine after a good job of cleaning and sanding mentioned already. Epoxy primer certainly won't hurt. It has great adhesion to many surfaces. If you have bodywork or raw fiberglass, IMO epoxy primer down first and over bodywork would be a smart move. Raw glass will soak up solvent. Epoxy is a good sealer for the surface and it sticks well and filler sticks well to it. Worth the little extra money spent. I do similar to bk, sand with 180 unless I have something more severe to deal with, or will be applying quite a bit of bodyfiller, then I will go courser. I've noticed fiberglass parts are often wavy when you get them, and some rounds of blocksanding, and even applying bodyfiller or modification is needed. Check your fit of the part first. And new parts It will only help to set out in the sun to make sure the fiberglass is gassed and you hopefully have any problems or imperfections show up before you paint.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
If you have a gelcoated surface and you haven't broken through to raw fiberglass anywhere, then I believe 2k urethane alone would be fine after a good job of cleaning and sanding mentioned already. Epoxy primer certainly won't hurt. It has great adhesion to many surfaces. If you have bodywork or raw fiberglass, IMO epoxy primer down first and over bodywork would be a smart move. Raw glass will soak up solvent. Epoxy is a good sealer for the surface and it sticks well and filler sticks well to it. Worth the little extra money spent. I do similar to bk, sand with 180 unless I have something more severe to deal with, or will be applying quite a bit of bodyfiller, then I will go courser. I've noticed fiberglass parts are often wavy when you get them, and some rounds of blocksanding, and even applying bodyfiller or modification is needed. Check your fit of the part first. And new parts It will only help to set out in the sun to make sure the fiberglass is gassed and you hopefully have any problems or imperfections show up before you paint.
Thanks for the reply -
The amount of shipping damage is minimal with the exception of 2 or 3 four inch long scratches which appear to be barely through the gel coat which is why I don't think full epoxy coverage is necessary as a protective coat. Possibly a few of drops mixed up and applied with a brush to seal them off. Patch those gouges w/Rage, 2K, sand and paint.

These fenders have hopefully outgassed as much as they ever will. Wescott produced them in 1999, I purchased them in 2001. They have been fitted, with flange mods made at the running board to fenders and splash shields a couple of years ago, and now they have been thoroughly sanded with 120 rather than 180 (seems to be some differences of opinion, some say 80, others 180 to 220 and I took the middle road and used 120). This has made a nice, paintable surface - and I have not see any waviness.
Dave
Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Last photo:

I prefer the added tooth that 80 provides over 120 or 180. I would personally would never go smoother than 120 and certainly not 180. The 80 rapidly knocks down any high spots, levels quickly, and provides a very aggressive hold for any epoxy or high build 2K Urethane primer/sufacer.

Vince
Old 09-10-2006, 03:42 PM

Split the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I prefer the added tooth that 80 provides over 120 or 180. I would personally would never go smoother than 120 and certainly not 180. The 80 rapidly knocks down any high spots, levels quickly, and provides a very aggressive hold for any epoxy or high build 2K Urethane primer/sufacer.

Vince
Vince
I'll split the difference !!
I'm got to finish "rolling" the edges and need to touch up a couple of spots that still have too much gel coat gloss and will use some 100 grit and go over them completely again (I'm out of 120 but have lots of 100). *0 scares me on 'glass.
Dave
Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Do as you wish, but I can tell you this for sure.. There is no comparison between putting epoxy on your fiberglass first vs using any 2k first.. period

Not being a smart A or anything so don't think that, just aggravates me to no end when people act like 2k is "IDEAL" for everything except just maybe bare metal... Ask Barry Kives which is superior for sealing the substrate, chip resistance etc.. NO COMPARISON...
Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
still have too much gel coat gloss and will use some 100 grit and go over them completely again
Dave
That is the main reason I go with the courser grits. Be sure and clean real good with a wax and grease remover. It wouldn't hurt if you gave it a soapy water wash after you have finished the first sanding prior to the application of your first product. If you do the soapy water wash allow a full day for the surface to dry.

Vince
Old 09-11-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoKing
" for everything except just maybe bare metal... Ask Barry Kives which is superior for sealing the substrate, chip resistance etc.. NO COMPARISON...
Bondo

First of all - most everyone has more experience with body work using todays materials than me. Barry and I did have a lengthy conversation which included epoxy primers (his, specifically) and its uses tho we did not discuss application specifically to 'glass plus I do have a copy of his latest tech manual.

I'm Playing a devils advocate now, just so you don't think I'm an idiot.
As said above, I have NO experience with the current coatings systems, only what I have read here and researched elsewhere.
As long as the gel coat is not breached, with 'glass stranding showing, why would epoxy be better than a 6 or 7 year old cured gel coat - they are made up of generally the same material.
You say chip resistance. There is the gel coat. If something is going to penetrate the BC/CC and the 2K, it's going to damage the gel coat, even with epoxy, and the gel coat or fiberglass wont rust. As far as adhesion, possibly 2K to epoxy may be better than 2K to 80 - 100 grit prepared 'glass, but I'm probably going to cancel that by waitng 2-3 weeks or more before paint. I can agree that an epoxy seal coat after 2K, as Barry recommends, for a show car finish - but for me, at this time may be overkill, but am considering.

twilliams3 - apologize about hijacking your thread - but I wanted to get a couple of issues on the table.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Last photo:

Actually the gel coat is basically a sprayed on polyester film, if the body is polyester which most are. I agree, the only time I would use epoxy on a new (unpainted) body or part is if that gel coat has been breached down to open glass cloth. In that respect you need the superior sealing qualities of an epoxy. Otherwise a couple of heavy wet coats of a quality 2K primer/surfacer is quite sufficient to give you a good base to begin blocking.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.