Paint Fumes - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,871
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 13
Thanked 185 Times in 166 Posts
[QUOTE=oldred anywhere near the garage but For me and my buddies who are around it all the time we can hardly smell the stuff at all. [/QUOTE]

I probably should have pointed out that lacquer thinner odor to me is very noticeable - and is not really a good test for those that paint on a daily basis. I paint so seldom that it works for me.

Sorry if my brain and my two typing fingers and 1 thumb don't always communicate as well as they should for others

Dave

    Advertisement
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a note. I was looking at the plastic bag I keep my mask in. It states, to check for proper fit, to do a negative pressure test , like I suggested, and a positive test. I don't think any more would be necessary. If you think about it, after whatever test you use, five minutes or whatever later, you yawn or stretch, swallow, sneeze, your mask is going to move if it is not properly fitted and even then it still is not likely going to be 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tennessee
Posts: 5,909
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As I said that was the accepted method for a long time however those comparison tests we did were real "eye openers" and it was really surprising just how much of a leak that was quite apparent with the test caps would seal off and not be noticeable at all when doing the negative pressure test. Try this, make sure you do have a small leak around the mask and then lightly place your hands over the filters in such a manner as to block as much air flow as possible then inhale in a normal manner-Most leaks will seal due to the pressure differential and not leak at all when this is done however when the filter restriction is removed the leak will still be there. some really serious leaks can be overlooked in this manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,871
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 13
Thanked 185 Times in 166 Posts
Who besides North and 3M make 1/2 face masks that have a good harness system? While I have used the North masks with good results in the past, last week's debacle with talking and a solvent 'hangover' was an eye opener for me and that a new manufacturer might be in order for those days I don't use my fresh air system (no lectures - I know I should use it, but it isn't always convenient if I have only a single panel to spray)

Dave
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tennessee
Posts: 5,909
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
3M makes several different models and the much softer black Silicone model (I forget the number, must have had too many leaks ) will seal a heck of a lot easier than the stiffer two-tone grey ones (can't think of the numbers on them either ). I started using the Silicone masks a long time ago and I never have much problem getting a good seal anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 02:48 PM
wildman1932's Avatar
Dave's hot Rod Shop
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kansas City Mo.
Posts: 185
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fresh air supplied, with positive pressure is the best.
Vapor cartridge is next, if you have no facial hair, if you do, it is probally leaking. They won't even test you!!!! The new rule is, if you have facial hair, you can not be tested.
Dave Tallant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Who besides North and 3M make 1/2 face masks that have a good harness system? While I have used the North masks with good results in the past, last week's debacle with talking and a solvent 'hangover' was an eye opener for me and that a new manufacturer might be in order for those days I don't use my fresh air system (no lectures - I know I should use it, but it isn't always convenient if I have only a single panel to spray)

Dave
I have been using Advantage 200 LS made by MSA { Mine Safety Appliance Company } I like it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,871
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 13
Thanked 185 Times in 166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
3M makes several different models and the much softer black Silicone model (I forget the number, must have had too many leaks ) will seal a heck of a lot easier than the stiffer two-tone grey ones (can't think of the numbers on them either ). I started using the Silicone masks a long time ago and I never have much problem getting a good seal anymore.
My old and new Norths are silicone masks but for some reason I can't seem to get a good seal with the new one - and I don't have any facial hair except when I don't shave for a day. I have even toyed with the idea of using Vaseline but what a mess it would create .

I had a brain wave and took a quick "tour" of my MSC catalog - and there are many choices from way too expensive to way too cheap to consider but am going to try the North one more time then make a decision.

Dave
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
My old and new Norths are silicone masks but for some reason I can't seem to get a good seal with the new one - and I don't have any facial hair except when I don't shave for a day. I have even toyed with the idea of using Vaseline but what a mess it would create .

I had a brain wave and took a quick "tour" of my MSC catalog - and there are many choices from way too expensive to way too cheap to consider but am going to try the North one more time then make a decision.

Dave
Did you get the right size ??? I know sometimes when I am in a hurry I have just grabbed something, later to find out @##$%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,871
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 13
Thanked 185 Times in 166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440
Did you get the right size ??? I know sometimes when I am in a hurry I have just grabbed something, later to find out @##$%
Yep - a large but have done the same @@%$$## as well
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tennessee
Posts: 5,909
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Using Vasoline is not only a good idea but has been done a lot, but as you said it is messy. When I ran my welding shop we sometimes had to cut/weld on Galvanized tanks or other Galvanized metal and when this was done it was extremely important not to have ANY leaks. In places where it was not practical to use a fresh-air unit we used both full face and half face masks, depending, and Vasoline was used as added insurance. It has been for me anyway that the full face masks are harder to seal than the half face type (others may have had a different experience with these things) and the vasoline made it much easier to achieve a good seal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Using Vasoline is not only a good idea but has been done a lot, but as you said it is messy. When I ran my welding shop we sometimes had to cut/weld on Galvanized tanks or other Galvanized metal and when this was done it was extremely important not to have ANY leaks. In places where it was not practical to use a fresh-air unit we used both full face and half face masks, depending, and Vasoline was used as added insurance. It has been for me anyway that the full face masks are harder to seal than the half face type (others may have had a different experience with these things) and the vasoline made it much easier to achieve a good seal.
You were saying that you have been welding as a profession for 30+++ years. I was wondering, How is your health ??? Like I was saying, my 20 year old son is heading down that road. Just wondering if you had to do it over, Would you do it again ??? Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Two Rivers Wi.
Age: 72
Posts: 451
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a few things here if anybodys interested.


http://www.1969supersport.com/respirators.html


Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,871
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 13
Thanked 185 Times in 166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs ss
I have a few things here if anybodys interested.


http://www.1969supersport.com/respirators.html


Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com

Rob
Rob,

Thanks for the reminder post - I've seen your concerns and advice on previous posts and again re-read them.

I do have one comment - we were issued a Scott 1/2 face respirator at one power plant we were building. It might be a life saver, but it did not fit with a good seal even after professional set up and for sure can not be used for car painting. I trashed mine once I moved to the next project since they had a different and better mask/hood system,

Dave
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Age: 42
Posts: 173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the original topic, I have a couple of suggestions... Given that there are risks that you're aware of and you're considering painting anyway:

1) About 10 years ago when I was taking body shop classes at a community college as a means of working on my cars (which, by the way, might be a way for you to access a down draft paint booth) some of the latest in paint technology that was being discussed was water-based automotive paint. I don't remember much more than that, but an internet search seems to point towards "Auto Air Colors" as a company that is making this kind of paint.

2) Not too long ago there was a discussion on here about Rustoleum applied by roller. The technique involved a lot of sanding, but maybe it's easier - particularly with wet sanding - to protect against dust particles than vapors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint Question #157 rj57 Body - Exterior 5 10-31-2007 02:20 PM
Best Way To Mask Paint Fumes ISAAC-RAY Body - Exterior 22 09-25-2006 11:29 AM
wax and grease remover adrock430 Body - Exterior 14 07-30-2006 12:18 PM
paint fumes Pidek1 Body - Exterior 2 06-12-2004 04:00 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.