Paint Fumes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Fumes

I am going to paint a old race car, Not a Show car. I have a HVLP gun and a adequate compressor, half mask respirator. I have chronic asthma so I want to use a paint that is the least Toxic. I have painted my undercarriage, trunk, and engine compartment with what I believe is a synthetic enamel { Tremclad Rust Paint} Is there any paint that is less Toxic than that, and is anything compatible with enamel ??? I know next to Nothing about Paint !!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2007, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

All paint is bad for your lungs and brain.You may want to make a homemade booth. Mine was my car port with a lot of lights. I made diagonally braced furring frames that held swap cooler pads. I had five 4'x8' frames that screwed to each other and the car port. At the other end I had a 4'x8' hinged frame covering the small opening with a large industrial fan outside of it. I wet the pads and the driveway. It worked well keeping the fumes down. Also some kind of homemade fresh air supply for the mask.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:42 AM

Last photo:

That paint is relatively benign but ANY paint can be bad for you especially if you already have breathing problems. Your mask should provide all the (breathing) protection you will need in this case IF, and only if, it is a good quality mask that is in good shape, fits properly, has FRESH filters and you do not have a beard. It is very important not to leave filters exposed to air when not in use and to toss them after an exposure of several hours. For years I was under the impression that they were good for only 8 HRs of use but I have been told by some of the guys here that they are good for at least 24 HRs. With that paint I would not worry about the time unless the filters have been out of the package and exposed for more than a few days but if you spray ANY kind of paint containing ISO's then use fresh filters! (make sure the packaging is not damaged when you buy them or they will already be "exposed")

This is assuming you are using the activated Carbon filter cartridges and not just dust filters which are not safe for any kind of paint.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
If you have "chronic asthma" I would find another hobby. There is NO paint that you should be around, not mixing, not spraying, not sanding, NOTHING.

You need to pick up a guitar or something to fill your spare time.

Brutal, but that is the way I see it. If you had a REAL, downdraft booth with a fresh air resperator system, then that would be a whole different picture. And even then you would be exposing yourself to a REAL danger. Someone with a serious lung disease shouldn't be ANYWHERE NEAR painting in a garage with a charcoal mask, PERIOD!

Heres a thread on the subject...click here.

Brian
Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I really get ill from the modern epoxy primers and paints, but I tried some polyurethane enamel from Larry that posts here. The stuff sprayed nice and seems real tough for chip resistance. My color was $88 shipped for a gallon "kit". It didn't seem to bother me as much as some of the other paints.

equipmentcolor.com

Lic 40 is the one I used. The color chart used to be online, now I can't find it..... but they sent me one.

I agree with the last post, get a friend to do the spray.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:25 AM

Last photo:

Let me retract what I said about that mask providing all the protection you will need After thinking about this I must agree with MARTINSR with chronic asthma you should not be anywhere near paint, any kind of paint, and don't even handle the container of a paint with ISO's!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Dave's hot Rod Shop

Old red is right on the money, If your mask is a charcoal vapor mask.
I agree, you should stay away from all air Bourne dusts and vapors.
About building a booth, I DISAGREE!!! If . What you need is more fresh air, not some thing that will keep the vapor contained. Not many home made booths will ever move enough air!!! Our booth has three monster fans, to change the air. Some thing like four changes a minute. ( twenty four thousand cubic feet a minute) I don't remember for sure, but is is a bunch. The mask I use is fresh air supplied, it is a full face, with pressure. It is not only your lungs that need protection. Your eyes, absorb into your blood stream , at something like 1/1000 of a second. Your skin also absorbs. This stuff kills. If you have a Cronin problem, have someone else spray for you, it is your live.
Dave Tallant Hot Rods KC Mo
Old 06-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Well, Thanks for your Thoughts and Concern I have had Asthma for 30 some years now. The Meds they have now are Really Good compared to 10-15 years ago. I have been working on this car for about 5 years now , I work when I feel like it, for as long as I feel like, which is only a couple hours here and there. Problem is I don't Like doing anything else. I wouldn't enjoy the car if someone else built it. I guess it's the building that I like. This car is my last kick at the can probably. Call Me Old Guy if you like I have used paint thinner/mineral spirts alot and they don't seem to bother me. When I have painted stuff I open the garage door a bit and the side door open with a fan blowing out and I wear a resperator with charcoal filter and dust filter. I've read alot about people Saying that Enamel paint is Crap and I was wondering if there is a Low Toxic Paint that that I could use. Thanks Again for everyone's concern and suggestions. Jack
Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I have many fairly severe allergies to things like pollen, animal dander, some foods, and aspirin. Oddly enough, I feel best when I am in my shop. I'm apparently not sensitive to the chemicals I use, and since I filter the incoming air somewhat, I'm protected from some of the things that make me sick.

Everyone has different triggers, and we'd be fools to advocate something that could kill you. But I think everyone should be able to proceed at their own risk to to the things they really want to do. I don't think you'll find a less toxic paint than the ones you mentioned unless you go to water based, but I don't know of a water based clear or single stage for auto use.

You are the best judge of whether you are having a reaction to the stuff you are using. I would say that you might want to look into a full air supplied mask and paint suit if you ever want to switch to catalyzed material, which as far as I know is what the pros use almost exclusively.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Dave's hot Rod Shop

I know how you feel, tinkering is like waking up in the morning. It is a great thing. The answer to your question is, anything that takes a hardener, will be harder on your health. Its the isocyanate's, they harden in your lungs. The problem is anything without a hardener, is junk.
Oh, buy the way, if you put your paint mask in a zip lock bag, it will stay good for about 24hrs of use.
Happy Painting
Dave Tallant Hot Rods KC Mo.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

Martinsr, That web Site is a Good Read for everyone . It's really Too Bad all the Hot Rod magazines won't Talk about Personal Safety. I guess they don't want to Scare away potentional Customers. Just like the Goofs on those TV shows Saturday mornings. Like tack welding with helmet up and short sleeves , no resperators. I know I will be a Little more careful from now on. Oh ya, Looks like I will be painting my car with Enamel Paint {Safest} http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10397 One last thing about a week ago I was welding some fuel line for a fender lip and I noticed I got a sore throat after awhile. It did'nt look like it was galvinized but I suspect that it had some Zinc in it. I guess the Best thing to do is "Be Safe". Wear a resperator
Old 07-01-2007, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

What kind of thinner do you use with polyurethane enamel and is that the same as a synthetic enamel ??? Obliviously I know Nothing about paint.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440
It did'nt look like it was galvinized but I suspect that it had some Zinc in it. I guess the Best thing to do is "Be Safe". Wear a resperator
Yep it does indeed contain Zinc and Cadmium (worse than the Zinc!) and you do not have to have breathing problems for it to cause serious harm, it sure don't take a lot to do it as you have found! Probably welding fume is the most overlooked safety hazard associated with this hobby and the problems can range from minor irritation to deadly with galvanized or Cadmium plated parts being the worst. Older Lead containing paint is another serious danger and far too many people will flame cut parts or weld on parts painted with this stuff and not give a second thought to the VERY hazardous smoke and fumes they are breathing, as I said it don't take a lot to cause problems. A lot of these same people would never take a chance when spraying fresh paint but for some reason the welding hazard just don't seem to get the attention that it most definitely should.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
What kind of thinner do you use with polyurethane enamel and is that the same as a synthetic enamel ??? Obliviously I know Nothing about paint.
The reducer that came with the kit was an unmarked bulk can.

I asked the seller about the activator and was told it is the same ingredients as single stage urethane.

So, it's not an acrylic or synthetic enamel? I tried their Lic 30 acrylic enamel before, but I really like this Lic 40.

It just worked well for me so I though I should mention it. I don't know much about paint either, but I'm going to get another color for the next project soon, and will try it again.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
I am working in the office now doing "discovery" (supplement estimates) and that is one thing I don't miss out in the shop, those damn fumes! My God, I walk into the shop now and there are two guys welding on quarter panels, you can smell the zinc, the room is full of it!!!!!

Even with the fans on, the resporators on, you are STILL taking some in.

I am sorry, life is WAY too precious. There is NO WAY, NO WAY IN HELL I would be doing this stuff at all if I had chronic asthma! I know you love it, I know how hard it would be for me to give it up completely. You don't have to stop working on cars, just stop doing the painting and body work. There are tons of stuff you can do on the car that doesn't include sanding and painting.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.