Paint gun Devilbiss - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Paint gun Devilbiss

Fellas
I have a paint gun from my Father in Law, Devilbiss md # SGA 570. I would like to get the specs for this gun. If anyone owns one, how it paints news paint. I am also buying either a 1) 5 HP 20 Gal compressor rated at 40psi-6.6, 90 psi-5.8 Cambell H brand twin cyl $569.00 CDN
2) 5HP 26 gal rated 40-6.9, 90-5.5 Campbell H brand oilless direct drive $349.00 CDN
3) 6HP 20 gal rated 40-7.7,90-6 - Coleman produce direct drive$ 399.00 CDN

I had an old CH and it worked OK. What would recommend for an over all compressor, ie paint and basic garage work.
Thanks Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 PM

Last journal entry: cab on frame
Last photo:

I don't know about the paint gun,but i would get the 26 gallon compressor. I picked up a 28 gallon 6.5 hp at Lowe's for $100. It works just fine for me.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:46 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

if you can only choose from the 3 compressors go for the 20gallon 5hp cambel huasfeld. it is oil and belt drive wich will run cooler then a oiless direct drive and it will last longer. the cheap direct drive oil less heat up alot and get lots of water in the tank.

i have this compressor, i use it for my DA sander and impact gun, the DA runs the tank dry very fast, i have to wait for it till fill up all the time, makes a 1 hour job into a 4 hour job. but if your like me and thats all you can afford then you just gota do with what ya got.

soon in the next 2 months i gota spray my car with epoxy primer, i dont know how long the air is going to last with the paint gun yet, i will probaly have to do 1 pannel at a time. maybe somone else can tell you on that one. i have a Devilbis gun also but no instructions or know the model #, it is a HLVP gun, all i know is to run it at around 20 psi.

BTW canadian tire sells the 20gallon 5hp cambel hausfeld compressor for $530 and i often seen it on sale for 500 bux. and also home depot sells huskey compressors wich is the exact same thing just red. if you can get a 230 volt hook up u can get a 60 gallon one there for 699 i believe.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:58 AM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

Sounds like the gun may be a pressure feed gun!! Check to see if the fluid tip extends past the air cap. If it doesn't, it's a pressure fed gun.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:07 PM

Montea
My wife works at CTC. I have a 60 gal 230 one, but theres only 110 in military housing. CTC sell the one your taking about. It's 569$ now. The gun well Devilbiss finally got back to me. It's a mid price one, for all paints. I'm fixing my 94 Aerostar this summer, spending 2000$ total for a van with only 110K I had payed off 6 yrs ago is small change. To get another 10 yrs. out of.
Thanks all
Old 04-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

CFM!!!!!--Look at the CFM, it just can't be said enough-TANK SIZE and HP MEAN NOTHING!- all the compressors you mention are too small for a HVLP gun and marginal for a conventional gun but the 230 volt outfit might work if the CFM is high enough. Find the specs on your gun if possible and then match a compressor to that. Remmember 6 CFM (for example) is 6 CFM period! no matter what size the tank or HP rating, if the CFM output is too low you will run out of air no matter if your tank is 20 gal or 60 gal! Most simply will not belive it but it is a fact, an air hungry tool such as a paint gun or DA sander will only run for seconds longer on 60 gal as compared to a 20 gal tank if the pump is putting out only about 5 or 6 CFM. If you shop around you may find that the best CFM rating is not always found on the compressor with the biggest tank or the most HP since HP ratings are almost always phony anyway on the "bargain" compressors.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:19 PM

Old red
Thanks, but i have seen same guns rated 1.5-4 CFM at 50-75 PSI. The one I'm may also buy is a Ultra Pro HVLP gun. Rate at 1-4 CFM at 42-65 PSI. The gun I have now is a suction gun rated at 3.2 -7.4 at 20-50 PSI.
My Father in Law used an old Eagle ShopMate compressor, I think it had only a 3.5 hp and 20 gal tank. He painted 2 of his show cars with it.
I'm not new at any of this stuff, just out of the loop. If I could I would buy a larger unit. The Married Quarters in the Canadian Army don't have 230 only 110. And moving every 3-5 yrs you cannot setup what you want.
Even if I can spray primer, undercoat, and my air tools I'd be happy. My last compressor was a small Craftsman 3 hp with 15 gal.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.