Paint Gun Ratings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 06:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Gun Ratings

There are so many paint gun questions and opinions on this forum so why couldn't there be a paint gun rating chart? Maybe divide it into two or three catagorys by cost (cheap, intermediate and expensive) and then post brands, models and rating from 1-10. Maybe even some personal comments about why you like or don't like a certain gun or wether it is user friendly or not for rookies. The truth would be in the final stats. I don't know much about computers or setting a chart up like this but maybe someone would like to try it.

Danny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Last photo:

The rating system would be subject to the same non scientifc opinions that the forum is, would not work IMO. All it would turn out to be is an opinion poll.

Vince
Old 01-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Rookie of the year

Last photo:

True Vince. Everyone likes a certain brand or model. one will paint with one model that someone else will not think of using.subjective yes
Old 01-20-2006, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

My thinking that if 30 people rated a paint gun with a 9 and 3 gave it a bad score I would have to think it was a good paint gun. If 30 people gave a different paint gun an average rating of 3 and 3 other people gave it a 9 I wouldn't want to buy it. If only 3 or 4 people gave feedback and it was mixed then the jury would still be out. When I go to buy electronics I try to find ratings for products from actual buyers. Most of the time even if most people like a certain product you will have a few that hate it or don't like it very much. It was just a thought.

Danny
Old 01-21-2006, 05:04 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The way I see it, paint guns are chosen for several reasons. Kind of like picking your mate. Everyone is looking for something different. Some people want something that is flashy, cost isn't really a factor, except thinking that more expensive is better. When they buy it, they adjust the gun the best that they can, then their technique is adjusted to the gun. Some people just want something that will spray paint and get a good finish, for as cheap as they can go, and throw it away when done. They too, adjust the technique to get the results. Then there are some that don't really want to spend alot, but want something that will last. They adjust their technique to fit what they get. You also will have some that just want something that they feel is comfortable in their hand. Again, they learn to adjust their technique to get the results.

The end results is that everyone will adjust to whatever gun they get,to get the results that they want. Alot will blame the gun for the bad results that they get along the way. On the other hand, if the gun could talk, they might be saying, "If you treated me right, I would have done right for you".

So it's like, do you like a blonde, brunette, or redhead type of deal.

Aaron
Old 01-21-2006, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

What if you like blondes, brunettes, and redheads?
I am one that won't spend a huge amount on a spray gun. Been using cheaper guns for years with good results. The shops I worked in didn't have overly expensive guns either. This was before the iwatas and sata's that everyone seems to be talking about these days. My most expensive gun cost me over 200 a few years ago, and it is basically my base gun, a pressure feed hvlp. The cheapy guns I have do a better job of spraying clear. Just set up shop and spend huge amounts on paint and supplys, and your supplier will give you loaner guns to try, then you can see which gun you like the best. I suppose a rating thing might be nice, but like before its going to be basically opinions, and most people only have maybe a few guns to compare to each other, as far as what is good. Some may think a gun that they can lay down clear pretty flat and even is good since it can be wetsanded and buffed out, and any other minor imperfections in the paint job taken care of as well. Some won't be happy unless they can lay down a really flat finish and will want to do it with every clear they use. I don't see enough people getting involved with several guns to compare, and whos opinion is right.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

IMO, a painter that makes his living with these guns is your best source for good opinions. If a gun can't be setup to perform good he just isn't going to use it period. Primers aren't that critical-most cheapo guns will get your primer on just fine if the fluid tip is sized properly, basecoats usually aren't much of a challenge for most guns if the setup is right-metalics will identify how well the setup is and viscosity is usually thin enough that atomization really isn't a challenge. High solids clears on the other hand need a gun that'll break it up and transfer a consistant coat on the surface and some guns do have trouble with this reguardless of setup IMO.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.