Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Paint gun suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 06:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY
That's good info to know! I bought a purple Harbor Freight gun but haven't used it yet. Hope it doesn't give me too much grief.

I have a small compressor but will be only spraying primer (Dupont epoxy primer) and only small sections at a time...maybe like 1/4 of the vehicle at a time. I've read about the problems with a too small compressor, but is it really a big deal if you're only spraying primer?
If you are panel spraying, i.e. a small area at a time, you probably will get along fine with a small compressor. You could have a problem if the pressure varies too much and you might end up with some sags or orange peel. The DuPont epoxy is not a sanding epoxy primer like the SPI as it literally dries rock hard.

Small compressors - I did 3-4 reasonably good complete paint jobs with a 1 hp 12 gallon Sears unit in the early '70s but using siphon feed guns and acrylic lacquers(and I still have that little compressor to drag out in the drive for filling tires !!)

Dave W