Paint guy gave me wrong paint, what would you do?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint guy gave me wrong paint, what would you do??

I am painting a '74 Challenger and went to the paint supplier for Hemi Orange single stage for the engine bay and painted it and went back with the empty can (for the formula) for 2 stage Hemi Orange for the body and sprayed it. The exterior is noticeably brighter than the engine bay and the exterior has tiny silver sparkles almost like metallic. Obviously not the same color, what would you do. Anyone know if "GO MANGO" has silver sparkles? I hate to complain because I do a lot of bussiness there and sometimes they even give me free supplies if it something small like toner or flattener.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

I'd just tell them hey this doesn't match what i have sprayed on here already.
this is why its a good idea to get most if not all your base color at once.
Just tell them to stop by and look at it to see what they think...
Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

The original hemi Orange had a very small amount of metallic in it (very fine grade and seems to me it was like 20-30 grams per gallon) You have to look for it up close to see it.
A lot of people did not notice but anyone that has restored these cars know.

Never expect single stage in an old color like this to match base as it will not as depending how the SS was sprayed that very fine metallic will get buried and you will never see it.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

The single stage is even darker than the 2 stage. Your right though, you have to be up close (like about a foot away) to even see it. When I sprayed plum crazy purple that way it matched perfect, isn't that a metallic?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Go Mango and Hemi orange are basically the same color just one is dodge and the other is Plymouth and I think one may be brighter but it been awhile. And YES they both have metallic in them. Tim
Old 04-03-2008, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
The single stage is even darker than the 2 stage. Your right though, you have to be up close (like about a foot away) to even see it. When I sprayed plum crazy purple that way it matched perfect, isn't that a metallic?
Yea PC is a metallic but that is not the point, as you must look at the structure of the tint and metallic and the fine metallic in a single stage is not going to refect the light and yes it will be darker because of that.
Now thinning the SS down 50% and shooting at 70lbs of air pressure you may be-able to make the metallic stand up.
Take VW silver, concept SS can with out much work match it to PPG base with no effort--two different structure of tints and metallic.
Plum Crazy, i have no facts on to give an opinion.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Ok, you are not going to like what I have to say.

You are painting the inside SS and the outside BC/CC, they are NOT going to "match". You can get them sort of close, maybe, but they will not match, period.

Second of all, if you poured the paint in the gun and shot it, you own the whole thing. The only thing they would be responsible for is replacing the paint if they mixed it wrong. But when you spray it, you "bought" it.

I have to tell you, you never, EVER want to buy paint "as you go along" when doing a restoration. You want to buy ALL of it up front and you will never run into this problem.

Brian
Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

I don't want them to reimburse me for the paint, I'm not that anal. I just thought maybe they got the wrong color. After I took it outside today it seems better in daylight instead of under a light in the shop. Maybe I was jumping to conclusions, I just painted it yesterday. Once I get the motor in and everything else under the hood installed you probably won't know it unless some says something. I'll try to post some pics in a couple of days and see if anyone can notice it.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
I don't want them to reimburse me for the paint, I'm not that anal. I just thought maybe they got the wrong color. After I took it outside today it seems better in daylight instead of under a light in the shop. Maybe I was jumping to conclusions, I just painted it yesterday. Once I get the motor in and everything else under the hood installed you probably won't know it unless some says something. I'll try to post some pics in a couple of days and see if anyone can notice it.
I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you were after. Well, getting back to the color, the SS can look quite a bit different from a bc/cc.

Brian
Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

You said that I should buy all my paint at one time but will the single stage and two stage match any better that way or will it be the same as what I got? Here's a couple of pics, I guess you can't notice anything on them. My wife looked at it and said she can't tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-018S.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	29024   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-019S.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	29025   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-020S.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	29026  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That hemi orange is one that is hard to match as I have seen a number of cars that were supposed to be that color and no two are alike..sometimes not even close..best is to get enough of the color to do the job at one time..If you get paint in quarts or you need to get paint in 2 cans or more it is best to box your paint until it is all intermixed so you do not have a color change when you open a new can..

Sam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.