Paint guy left me hanging - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Paint guy left me hanging

Long story short: Paid a guy to base/ clear my vehicle. Black - when I picked it up it looked great. He advised that it needed a final buff and he would come to my shop and complete after I had the fenders deck lid assembled. (removed for painting). Took awhile to complete assembly and the painter is no where to be found. After washing, (probably removing glaze?) sanding marks more pronounced. Look like maybe 1000-1200 color sand marks. Only good news is this condition exists in just a few places that are about 1'x1' or smaller in size. The clear is now 1 year old. I have tried 3m perfect it 05973 and Imperial hand glaze 05973 however I don't seem to be getting the gloss/depth thats on most of the vehicle. I really don't have the knowledge to figure this out and would appreciate any help/ suggestions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Sin Vertis Stratio

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well the rubbing compound is not going to work over 1000-1200 scratches especially black. You need to color sand thru 2500 minimum, on black i go to 4000 before i start any buffing. Since the clear is so old it may be tough going but doable. Good Luck
Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

Sounds to me that the painter had to sand out some runs because of the size of the area that was sanded. You don;t want to go to far so I would start with 2000 grit, wet sand the area and see if that takes out the scratches, if it does then on to 3000 and finish in 4000. Expect the wet sanding paper to be pricey but that is what it takes. It can be difficult to see your progress and because of this sanding through is quite common leaving the only option of repainting the entire panel. So take your time and don;t rush it. After finishing in 4000 the polishing process begins. Everyone has their own way of doing things that works for them and this is the process and products I use. I start with a heavy cut polish Meguiar's #85 diamond cut compound then to Meguiar's #3 machine glaze and finish with Meguiars #7 show car glaze. Another thing to watch out for is not to use to much speed and pressure with your polisher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536[1].JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	46245  
Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rix-Trix
Sounds to me that the painter had to sand out some runs because of the size of the area that was sanded. You don;t want to go to far so I would start with 2000 grit, wet sand the area and see if that takes out the scratches, if it does then on to 3000 and finish in 4000. Expect the wet sanding paper to be pricey but that is what it takes. It can be difficult to see your progress and because of this sanding through is quite common leaving the only option of repainting the entire panel. So take your time and don;t rush it. After finishing in 4000 the polishing process begins. Everyone has their own way of doing things that works for them and this is the process and products I use. I start with a heavy cut polish Meguiar's #85 diamond cut compound then to Meguiar's #3 machine glaze and finish with Meguiars #7 show car glaze. Another thing to watch out for is not to use to much speed and pressure with your polisher.
I would be real careful using something as aggressive as #85 particularly if I hadn't done the painting myself. I would probably use #1 Medium Cut then go to #3 if it was Meguire's. Heck, I've even gone through the clear with #3. What I really prefer are the Presta cut 'n' buff products, but the Meguire's works well if careful. Their polish products are the best IMHO.

Dave W
Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

use meguiars 105 followed by 205 after wet sanding then use a good paint sealant then wax it it. you using a rotary or a da? you use a rotary becareful can burn through real easy. use pads that work for your application. good luck
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 AM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks to all for your help.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.