paint help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

paint help

Hey guys, I need some advice from some of the knowledgeable's around here

Heres the deal, purchased a 91 cherokee that needs paint, most of the jeeps in good condition as far as the paint goes but I see very slight clear coat delamination in a few areas, the roof is pretty bad on peeling.

Questions I had were if I was going to paint the whole jeep a different color would I be better to sand the roof, epoxy then prime it or if I dont sand through the factory primer can I just seal the whole truck..or hell, tell me what to do please

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I would sand the whole thing down to solid base paint w/ 320 wet-or-dry (keep the factory primer if at all possible), prime it in epoxy then build up a couple coats of poly sanding primer and block sand that w/ 400 for the final paint.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. That's the route I will go then, I can spray pretty decent but just don't know the proper steps and after my last painting incident I prefer to ask around here.

Thanks again
Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM
OLDFART952

strip it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducter
Hey guys, I need some advice from some of the knowledgeable's around here

Heres the deal, purchased a 91 cherokee that needs paint, most of the jeeps in good condition as far as the paint goes but I see very slight clear coat delamination in a few areas, the roof is pretty bad on peeling.

Questions I had were if I was going to paint the whole jeep a different color would I be better to sand the roof, epoxy then prime it or if I dont sand through the factory primer can I just seal the whole truck..or hell, tell me what to do please
hi bud, i've done plenty of these beasts when car is peeling it may look not bad but it is. strip it down to primer if thats peelin take that off to. this way it won't peel ever again. if u don't your thrown your money away !!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

You need to get it down to the oem primer, the basecoat is not a good substrate to build upon.
Save a lot of time if you sand it with 80, prime with SPI epoxy, then bc/cc.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

thanks for the continued replies. Hopefully paint time will come next weekend and I can see what's under the clear/base.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Pretty bumbed currently, Jeep needs a new motor or crank so I kinda back burnerd it for a bit. Decided to go on and start on the paint and have been sanding as careful as I can but have went to bare metal in just a few small spots, lacking the knowledge on what my next step would be in terms of treating those areas I am once again asking for some guidance.

I have been sanding it with 320 on a da, working ok but like I said have hit metal in a few spots, trying to do this on a budget as best I can as I wasnt planning on 2k for a motor..sigh, thats how it goes at times huh...

thanks

edit: if it matters I am going with a SS black

Last edited by Ducter; 02-11-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If you are using an epoxy primer as your next step, don't worry about it.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
If you are using an epoxy primer as your next step, don't worry about it.
Alright, thanks. I was under the impression that epoxy primer couldnt be applied over factory primer, so much info available on paint, and they are often different lol, makes your head spin.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:46 PM
OLDFART952

on the dollar

yoh horny, first i been painting 32yrs. if u don't have enough primer just prime the spots then lightly sand off overspray by hand . you be better off sanding with 120 grite. 320 to fine you'll waste a ton of paper. ya i just blew the motor in my truck 61 yrs old i goofed. it happens just start over things will get better.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Alright...thank you all for the advice. I am finishing up sanding and getting ready for epoxy, its pretty cool here still though with 50-60s for highs and low to mid 30s for lows. I dont have a heated garage just use a propane heater to work out here when its cool. Most I have read on epoxy is it needs to be warm, the warmer the better. Given that am I pretty much screwed till we get warmer weather here?

I was going to paint it in a make shift booth with my propane heat getting blown in with duct work, exhausted out the back but with the epoxy, I would need to maintain a warmer temp for a few days right?

Heres the deal with the Jeep, its going to be a daily driver thats going to see off road use. With that I am not real concerned about a top dollar finish but more so just have it all look decent enough.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
OLDFART952

cold outside

man i've been threw all that. here's how i did it in the winter. i made a plastic paint booth . 12' x 30' TARP IN TOP AND ROLLED PLASTIC WALLS. with a fan blowing fumes outside. but not running fan for short peroids. cause it;ll suck all your heat out fast !!! get to know your paints. u'll know what u can get away with by temps. i shot a camro on on thanksgiving day no heat 27 degrees out. no heat !!! used centari with 151 high build lac primer. shot the whole car with primer. 2 coats of dupont centari hardner 793. sweetttt just go slow test paint on somethin if its real cool. u are getting very cold but with your plastic booth your heater should get it to 50. good luck take care gar

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.