Hot Rod Forum banner

Paint and humidity??

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BarryK 
#1 ·
OK its been raining down here for like a week or more every day. I've got one day free where I can paint my front grille and thats tomorrow. The chances for rain are going down tomorrow but the humidity I know will still be here. I'll be using single stage urethane and I need to know if I have to wait or not. It will be in the shop but if its like this morning, air so thick you can cut it, I'm not sure if I should or not. I know I'll have to extend the flash time between coats. Anything else I need to know or should do??

Thanks
David

#2 · (Edited)
Single stage urethane is not as big an issue as BC/CC.(with humidity)
Whatever paint your using if it says 10-20 minutes flash per coat than go the 20. Don't wait longer as some iso's will start to *sensitize and certain single stages to long between coats can be a bigger problem than to soon. Your doing a small area so reducer if needed not as critical as if your doing a bigger Job. If the paint calls for reducer slower is better with high humidity.
The thing that will help the most is DON'T wet the floor, in most booths that will raise the humidity level about 10-15 points.
In a garage, even more.

*Iso's cure with moisture and air.

All the humidity is going to do to the urethane is cause the paint to flash faster (dry to touch) but because the moisture is causing the paint to flash so fast this will actually slow the total curing down as it will take longer for the mid and tail solvents to ex-cape.
That is why, even if you can lightly touch the paint in 5 minutes, give it the extra flash time before applying the second coat.

Don't wait, just shoot it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.