Hot Rod Forum banner

Paint info needed....please

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Fat Freddy 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I am having difficulty in working out some paint finishes ie candys & pearls. I am trying to achieve a certain finish which is a clean purple with a slightly darker flip. Is it possible to use a candy & a pearl coat over the top? or would the pearl coat kill the candy effect?

If there are any custom painters out there willing to talk to me via phone, drop me your number & rough guide to time difference(USA to UK) & I will call you.

I am eager to learn the custom tricks but dont want to kill any of my jobs.

As always guys, any info will be greatly apreciated!! :)

#2 ·
fat freddy

HEy well you can buy a lot of books on the subject.
But my advice would be to put the pearl under the candy. and that very lightly. use a nice gold base coat. then a clear inter coat to smoothe it . then throw down two light coats of what ever pearl and i mean "light coat".
Pearls build fast and will get cloudy . candy likes a lot of light comming through it. keep in mind that if your looking for flip flop effects , you may only see them from certain angles. and then do your self a favor.,
When you are experimenting!
take a rounded surface to "play on" then take it out in the sun light to see what effect you get from your "play" you have to remember that shop lights don't do what sun ligft will do. so happy squirtin' and wear yer mask . or you'll end up like me.
"Cocain don't make me crazy ----"I sniff PAINT!".
later in the wee hours, Fat .

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it as always. Freddy, im gonna take you up on that phone call just as soon as I work out the time difference, I dont wanna be phoning you at 2 in the morning! ha ha!

Thanks again guys, with your help im goin in the right direction :D

#6 ·
fat freddy

Steve UK said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it as always. Freddy, im gonna take you up on that phone call just as soon as I work out the time difference, I dont wanna be phoning you at 2 in the morning! ha ha!

Thanks again guys, with your help im goin in the right direction :D
hey i'm a disabled fat guy who can't get a real job,
nobody hires a guy who has brain damage and a reall bad back , and alot of other things wrong,
I worked real hard for about 30 years and it has taken a toll,
so if you happen to wake me up at 2 am, I'll be pissed for a few minutes , then i just chill and we can talk about your sitiuation. I don't have a schedule that is all that important. and i don't sleep regular. so i won't be too upset .
I do wrok at my art and painting every day,
and i'm not broke and poor, but i jut don't have a real job, that i gotta get up toi.
GOd takes pretty good care of me, so i can accept a simple mistake... i'll just need a minute or two to get my bearings. and you'll have to remind who and why your calling.
later "FAT" ( former adreniline junky and hard working guy )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.