Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - paint information
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

You can get a very nice job with acrylic enamel if you have some experience. If you haven't shot too much paint it probably is not a good choice. You have to lay it down pretty heavy to get a nice gloss and it will slide, but if you don't get it on heavy enough you get an awful "dry spray" look that can't be fixed unless you sand and recoat. Urethane is by far the better choice even though it costs more. I never use cheaper paint because it's just to much work to prep for paint to take a chance. You might consider base clear. I shoot a lot of bikes and I won't use anything else. It is really not that much more than the others and face it, if your paint doesn't look good your project doesn't look good. Even if you have to save up a while longer to go with base clear it is worth it. Good luck with this deal. What ever you decide to go with follow the paint manufacturers recomendations TO THE LETTER! They have tech reference material that is great. You have to understand the manufacturer wants your job to come out right. I have been to several tech schools on paint and they spend a pile of money on R & D so you won't make mistakes. This includes using the proper reducers and hardeners for the temp and humidity etc.etc. Guys with experience can play with this but novices can't. I've got a lot of experience and I don't play with it. If I can help just holler.
The Following User Says Thank You to DR327 For This Useful Post:
chief36chevy (07-12-2012)