Paint Job Or Restoration??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Job Or Restoration???

When does a paint job become a body on restoration?

New quarters, floor pans, trunk pan???

Just where is the line drawn??

Thanks,

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 02:29 PM

well im doing what i call a frame on resto on a 67 firebird convertible, two new quarter panels, front fender patches, 2 small patches in trunk area and floor pans are solid, i would call this a frame on resto i will also black oout firewall, fendertubs, new frontend bolt kit, etc....mike.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=67goat]well im doing what i call a frame on resto on a 67 firebird convertible, two new quarter panels, front fender patches, 2 small patches in trunk area and floor pans are solid, i would call this a frame on resto i will also black oout firewall, fendertubs, new frontend bolt kit, etc....mike.[/QUOTE

also this customer is being charged by the hour, i write down every minute i put into this car and at the end of everyother wekk , my customer comes by and drops a check inspects works goes over what time i have written down, that is the only way to make money on jobs like this, there is no set price except your labor price, whatever it may be?? so what if you give a set price, cut the quarter off the inner tub, floor braces etc.... is rotted, does a set price include this? i know im venting, and could go on and on but i wont, mike...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

I just got done spraying a 69 RS camaro. new trunk floor,2 new quarters,2 outer wheel housings,all new front sheet metal,sandblast and refinish front inner wheel wells,convert from a vyinl top to hard top,repait rust around front&rear glass,new tail panel and lower valance. It took 3 1\2 months working weekends and nights. Only charged 3500.00 had $1800 in materials.
People just don't understand the time that goes into a car to do it right.
I'm glad I don't do this for a living I'd starve to death..lol
Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

I'd starve too. The reason I started doing some work at home is I was out of work for awhile and got denyed unemployment. Its all I really knew to do. I won't even dare mention what I charged for the '67 mustang I painted 2 years ago. Live and learn. Lets just say would have been better off sweeping floors at mcdonalds or something. But I guess it gave me the chance to show what I could do and put a few pics up on my website, and is a start of photos to show if I ever do end up renting a shop and start a little something on my own. Its at least was a popular enough car that people could take some interest in it. The mustang got probably around 15 patches welded in, quarters were already full of filler, but blocked them, primed, reblocked and primed again. Molded in a hood scoop and made it functional, stripped almost all the paint, door jambs, inside trunk area, cowl area, under the hood, basically all but trunk and engine bay areas, and roof and one quarter. Cleaned out all seam sealer in all cracks, and drip rail and redid all that too. Got asked about doing other musclecars after that, but have yet to do another one. Just looked at a 80 transam this weekend that some college kid wants me to give him a price to do, working on an '89 mustang now, the same guy I did the '67 for. This time its a barter for a 4x4. Also recently got asked about doing some dent repair ect on a windstar, but that doesn't really float my boat, so I kinda blew that one off.
I bet a lot of people work a lot cheaper then they should. Many people just dont realize the hours that need to be put in and the cost of materials, even though they really want the work done. I bet a lot of the big guys didn't always get paid for all the hours they slaved away till they began getting a reputation. I hear time and time again how some of the big popular guys do some pretty mediocre work at times too. I just do a few things a year for enjoyment, guess its fun giving up free time. Since I work full time and that takes care of my bills, I don't have to take something I don't want to and worry about having enough work and good customers to eat. Keep doing the best work you can, and hopefully eventually you will be turning away the people who start by saying, " I don't have a lot of money" or " I am not looking for it to be perfect" and can take only jobs that you will be payed for all the hours you put in and they have the ability to pay for it without question.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:01 AM

im a small shop, i do quite a bit of older classic muscle cars,i also do some insurance work and other work, but most of my work is frame on resto, and when i look at a car i explain, this is a project car, this isnt just in need of just a paint job. so i let my customer know my labor rate,also i make the customer purchase all the new quarters, patch panels, etc... i also charge them for the paint which is usually aroiund750.00 to 1,000.00 for paint, clear and all supplies... i tell them how it works on a frame on resto and i also keep a potfolio of the many restos ive done, i explain to them it is 50.00 an hour, i write down everything i do, i also take pics, and plenty of them it is cheap security and insurance to me. Mike.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 AM

Last photo:

I have a question about clearcoat respraying. On this camaro I used Chromabase and Chroma Clear 7500s. I put 2 good wet coats over the whole car used 1 gallon of clear. I sprayed it @3:30p.m. Monday afternoon. I would like to put another coat or 2 on the hood, header and trunk lid as so I will not sand through back to the basecoat when I color sand the stripes. Should I water sand with 1500 to scuff the clear before respraying or use a suff pad?

I really don't like water sanding but it is part of it. I water blocked the car with 600 before spraying and know after I respray the clear the whole car will need to be color sanded with 1500 or 2000 before buffing.

I have added pics of the camaro in my Gallery

Thanks in anvance,

Will
Old 05-31-2006, 05:27 AM

i would water sand it with a block and some 800 but be careful on edges may want to use 1500 on edges,, also its always good to go over it with a grey scotchpad, not red, the grey pad, then reclear, the depth will be unbelieveable, mike.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:30 AM

Last photo:

So just scuff it with the gray scuff pad and re shoot the clear?
Will there be any problems later of the clear peeling using the scuff pad?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:53 AM

like i said i always 800 water paper first to get any peel trash etc... out of clear being careful not to burn through, then i will take some scuff and stuff with a grey pad and water and go over everything real good, let it dry, wax and grease remove and reclear. done deal, mike.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.