Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Paint Match Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Henry, metamerism is the condition not where it happens. It is what it is, and it doesn't matter if it happens where you will be driving it, where it's parked, or where it is painted. If the appears different under different lights, THAT is metamerism. You are right in that if the car is never going to see the conditions you have it under when you see this like your own shop lights, maybe it won't matter, this is true. The customer is never going to see the car in your lights and once outside it looks good and it looks good where the customer will see it, it may not "matter",but the metamerism still exists.

You and DBM are right, learning how to tint yourself is the next step. It is a steep curve but if you are going to be painting, you MUST know how to move a color around a little. Personally I have not had good luck with the spectrometer "computer thing-a-ma-jig" (more people know it by the thing-a-ma-jig than spectrometer you may be right ) I used one when I was a rep and we had one at work with the last paint supplier, it was "close" or MAYBE a "Blendable match" but it certainly didn't "match" the color in my opinion. Of course this could be operator error or simply not as good a thing-a-ma-jig as the guys you use have. I do know I had a Dupont "Chromavision" as I remember they call theirs. gave a solid color for a metallic at one shop I serviced.

Learning to tint a color around is the best suggestion if you want to continue doing this stuff.

Brian
for the sake of you being right that's correct, but I don't know a lot of painters that would consider that a metamerism but rather being fooled it was a good match under incorrect lights. It's not that technical here. The problem was is that he sprayed a spray out (or however he determined it matched) under bad lighting and when he got it into correct lighting it was a bad match. Probably had more to do with being single stage than anything. Most painters I know would consider a metamerism an effect that causes normal matching paint to look different under street lights or flouros most likely due to blue in the formula. The reason I say this is because a metamerism points to bad formulas, but this has nothing to do with that, this is a poor decision to try to butt match a single stage metallic with a two stage metallic, which has nothing to do with the formula. Metamerism is usually from bad formulas or the user trying to tint and adding too much of something that can't be seen in correct lighting.

btw, I think you were correct, it is a white. The first pic gives it away so a lot of what I'm saying has nothing to do with this situation, but some does.

Last edited by tech69; 05-29-2011 at 10:24 AM.