paint over e coat? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

paint over e coat?

how you guys doing. can i shoot base over e coat on a new body part that has been sanded with 600 wet? or i i have to prime it first? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

You can base over that sanded e-coat with most paint systems, but in my opinion, adhesion and chip resistance will be greatly increased by first spraying a couple coats of good epoxy or urethane primer then resanding.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

when i worked at the chrysler / jeep / audi dealer we made a habit of priming the leading edges of hood's and fenders when we replaced them. it definantly made a difference in how many chips the panels developed over time.

warranty hood replacements were a great example, we would set up a doven or so sebrings / 300m's that needed warranty hoods and do them all at once. we originaly did them base right over E coat, and a bunch of them always came back a few months down the road.

then we switched to priming the front 8 inches of each panel and after that SOMETIMES one out of a dozen would come back a few months later, but those cars were usualy driver stupidity more that anything. one owner FULLY ADMITTED to tailgating a salt truck for like 30 miles on the highway.

before we started priming hoods, id wind up having to airboard the old paint back off in order to get the repairs done in a timely matter. the boss always loved seeing that !
Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

i'm a little wary of ecoat in general. it seems to be well bonded, but i've seen it chip off on a couple panels that i've worked at the edges and under it looks to be early stage rust. maybe it's just discoloration?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoby
i'm a little wary of ecoat in general. it seems to be well bonded, but i've seen it chip off on a couple panels that i've worked at the edges and under it looks to be early stage rust. maybe it's just discoloration?
I would guess that if you are talking about an OEM part, the damage was already done and the chip just came off later. OE's are pretty picky about how they prep and prime their metal parts. I've never seen rust under factory e-coat when the part comes from a major manufacturer.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
I would guess that if you are talking about an OEM part, the damage was already done and the chip just came off later. OE's are pretty picky about how they prep and prime their metal parts. I've never seen rust under factory e-coat when the part comes from a major manufacturer.
no, i'm talking about aftermarket body panels for my '67 mustang.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 PM

Don't base over sanded E-coat, its a bad idea and I have never heard of a paint brand that says that its ok to do so in there tech sheet.

Its no big deal, just DA the new panel and then spray a 2k sealer or reduced epoxy as a sealer, let it sit for the right amount of time (usually 20 minutes or so) then spray your base.

Priming (or sealing) the leading edge of a new hood and not bothering to do all of it? Thats being awfully cheap

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.