Paint over laquer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint over laquer?

HI,
I seem to remember in the (old days) people said you could paint enamel over laquer but could not paint laquer over enamel.Can any of the "new paints" be applied over laquer? If not is it true that enamel can go over laquer?What procedures do you have to follow?As you have probably guessed by now my car is in laquer and I want it to be in flat or semi-gloss black,and I would like to do it without stripping all the old paint off.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 08:20 PM

If you will NOT strip the car then you should seal it with epoxy primer. You should not reduce the epoxy (the reducer can react to the laquer). if you are doing a simple repaint and do not need to use a filler primer then I would do this: sand the car with 320 and then put on 2 coats of epoxy. let the epoxy set up overnight and then paint the car.

IF the car needs body work and high build primer then I would do this" sand the car with 120-180 and then 2 coats of epoxy. let it sit a day and then do your body work, spray the high build primer, block it out and paint the car.

I have also done this: sanded with 120, then put on three good coats of polyester primer (i used fetherfill G2). I did NOT add aceton or reducer. Spray the poly with a large tip (2.2 is great). then I blocked the poly, sealed the car with a coat of epoxy and base and cleared the car.

If you want to be on the safe side strip the car. I have used the above ways and not had problems.
good luck
Old 03-04-2007, 08:40 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexflacco
If you will NOT strip the car then you should seal it with epoxy primer. You should not reduce the epoxy (the reducer can react to the laquer).
eeeeh .... depends on the epoxy primer... ppg 271 will DESTROY lacquer .... the 271 shrinks alot as it dries, and the entire job looks like an earthquake hit it

it took me 2 days to fix the primer on my bosses friends car, 2 full days between the first coat of primer and the point when i was able to say "paint it"

every new coat of 271 caused 1/2 as many cracks as the last coat, leaving me with more sanding to do every time, the last 3 coats of primer caused one crack each, and the last crack was nearly vertical, so i just poured some primer down the side of the car over the crack and walked away till it dried

thank god the entire "show quality paint job" on the car was as wavy as a small pond getting hit by a large meteor, otherwise i would have had 2 more days of work to get the door straight
Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks,
What about acrilic enamel?What kind of primer do you use with it?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:24 PM

I used omni epoxy and did not have any trouble...have heard of all kinds of problems with painting over lacquer. So to say it again: to be safe strip the crap off and you will not have to worry.
you can spray AE over epoxy or a 2k (high build) primer.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.