Hot Rod Forum banner

paint over no prep!

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  cutthroatkid 
#1 ·
Ok so a couple weeks ago I took on a job gave the guy a super cheap price cuz someone already screwed him & I have a couple.full restorations coming up so I said what the hell.The guy who.was suppossed to of painted it 1st sprayed base&clear over the body without even sanding it.The owner was able to peel some off.I asked while he was here could I sand a spot the test spot was nasty but seemed like I could handle it.Well I had a few jobs here knocked em out now go to jump on this & its way worse than I thought.150 grit is unuseable inless than a minute.
Im thinking about refunding his down payment &an extra 100 bucks & washing my hands of it.First off hes a cop & I dont want him to hassle.me not saying he would but? Anyways if I was to continue I would have to strip with 40 grit dudes on a super tight budget what can I do?I thought of slick sand but idk wtf to do here

#3 ·
If it was sprayed over no prep you can likely strip it with a razor blade scraper. Or you can send it and his deposit back to him, or call him and tell him to come over and see why it cant be done for the original quote, and explain if he wants it done right it will cost him.

One thing I have learned in this business is to never lower your standards to get a job. You are far better off in the beginning to have a reputation of doing quality work for a fair price and face a few slow times until you get you business built up, than to have a yard full of cars and the reputation of doing shotty work even if you have cheap prices. People will see the work you do and ask the owner who done it. That can be good or bad depending on the kind of work you are doing. They never tell anyone "I told him to patch that rust with fiberglass" or "I told him I wanted the cheapest job he could do and I wasn't worried about all the dents" etc, they just so "I had John Smith paint this thing". Your quality of work and customer service is all you have to offer to anyone, never lower your standards for anyone. People will talk about a perfect job for a little while, but they will talk about a bad job forever.

#5 ·
Shine has a good point, I have stripped many cars with a pressure washer or an air hose and blower. When Ford and GM were having so much trouble with clear peeling, those 2 methods combined with a razor blade in a few places would usually take it to the factory primer in a few minutes.

Kelly

#6 ·
Shine has a good point, I have stripped many cars with a pressure washer or an air hose and blower. When Ford and GM were having so much trouble with clear peeling, those 2 methods combined with a razor blade in a few places would usually take it to the factory primer in a few minutes.

Kelly
It wasn't just Ford and GM.Chrysler also had major "delamination" problems in the late 80's.The dealers sent their body people to seminars on how to deal with the problem. I stripped most of the factory paint off my father in laws Dodge omni with a pressure washer. paint actually blew off in sheets.

#10 ·
my 96 ram would peel off in sheets driving 60 down rt19!! That in Florida!

Now in all fairness you gave a price, do the job. you will make it back remember he has friends !

i was a home do it all. lost some here and there!! but if i under estimated well my problem.

but every one that got a deal got me 10 or more jobs then those got me 10 or more jobs!!!! ETC!!!!ETC!!!ETC!!!

#11 ·
Me? I'd probably do the job but get the guy over and show him exactly what has to be done and all the extra work thats needed ,try to get some more money,if not, do it anyway and take the loss but make him happy (its never a bad idea to be on the good side of a cop) or anybody for that matter...When all his buddys see the car and want to know who did it you'll end up with more customers ...and you'll have a good rep for being honest...Your going to loose money on some jobs and thats all there is to it...Once you start a job you finish it no matter what...Maybe you can get him over to help with some of the grunt labor...

#14 ·
I can't give you any tips above what the guys have already said, but this ain't your car. You should not work for free or pay him to take it away. It was his choice to take it to the previous guy and now he is at your doorstep wanting to do it right. If he ain't got the money, you shouldn't waste your time. Either charge him fairly or let him take it away, but he shouldn't have an extra bill in his wallet because his car is a POS.

#15 ·
sooner or later you are going to learn that cutting deals will never work . the busiest painter in town is the cheapest and the first to go under. you made the deal so now your going to have to suck it up and do it . had you made an estimate with him you could do something but if you gave a firm price your stuck .

#17 ·
Well Ive thought about everyones suggestions & I am gonna see it through till the end.ame & the wife had agreed when we took it on that it was the last "EL CHEAPO" We were gonna take on.I.shouldnt have took it but I did.Ive been trying to get ahold of him to discuss ghe jib with him but hes down there working the riots.I talked to his wife & told her Im gonna donit but its gonna take longer & they might have to buy someother primer.
What kills.me & I get this alot.they have TONS of codes being thrown& I.mean some serius ones & tonite I go to the shop its got a flat.I hate when that happems because the customer always says it was fine when.I.brought it to you...I looked the tires appear & aapp3ar I mean to look new @ a glance but between all the tread is dry rot.This cars screwing me up because by tjme Im done with it my big money jobs I have here are gonna be pushed back.& the big money guys arent gonna be happy.Anyways if & when.I get aholdof him Im going to see of he will reimburse me@all if not ohwell.Ill take it as a lesson.Aga8n does anyone think my 60 gallon puma comp & a hf soda blaster will work?

#19 ·
it might work :confused::confused: whats your goal ,getting it down to the metal???
If it were me I'd only strip of the new paint that was sprayed with no prep. stripping the car to the metal will open up a big can of worms and you will regret it ...try the razor scraper and air blower to get the paint off if that dont work sand that layer off...a soda blaster will be a waste of money.look up soda blasting just hit the search button at the top of the page.
what kind of car is this anyways...post some pics

#22 ·
the razor&air method dosnt work.It just gums up.Ive already.called his wife &said I would do it.Im having to use 40 grit&if I move fast enoug I can remove the crap layer off I.make it to where I.dont.sand through factory paint.I havent really been able to get ahold of him hes been.working the riots.I d9.expect to.be reimburssed if I buy slick sand etc.
I see this.all of the time people bring there cars in but turns oht they have all.kinds of.cel.lights on for.MAJOR Codesb& then.lastnite I go to pull the car out&tire is flat.I go to check in from the side they look new but all through the treads it is dry Riedel I hate when this happens because they always place the blame on me.I just bought a super duty f350.7.3 psd dually long bed crew cab & as much as I.wanna paint it and fix the little dents and dings I will make sure it is in top running order first.I remember seeing a mustang when I was a kid and it looked very nice and I told my dad I said man that thing looks sweet I want it he said any car can look good that doesn't mean that the motor isn't crap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.