Hot Rod Forum banner

paint popping

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  colormecrazy 
#1 ·
I just finished painting my mustang with ppg shopline basecoat clearcoat and when I was wetsanding a small fiberglass side scoop I burnt through the paint. I decided to basically start over on it since it was a small piece. I sprayed a coat of epoxy primer and then got some lunch and came back about 2 hours later and sprayed it with a coat of basecoat color. After about 5 minutes I noticed that the paint was starting to pop badly. I've had this experience in other places where I sprayed basecoat over clearcoat (it's why I abandoned painting rally stripes on it for now) but the clearcoat had been dry for 2 days. I thought that would be plenty of time for me to be able to safely spray something over it considering the guy at the paint store told me 24 hours was adequate.
Am I even on the right track here with my thinking? Does it sound like the clearcoat is the problem?

#2 ·
FWIW, I had the same problem with clear that had been on a fender for at least three months, but stored indoors. The plan was to apply four more coats of clear, wet sand and buff. I sanded the original clear until all blemishes had been removed, used dx330 to clean. I then started applying the new clear. After the first coat had set for about 10 minutes I noticed lots of tiny holes developing in the newly applied clear. Barry of this forum diagnosed my problem as solvent pop. Seems even though the original clear had been applied for months, when I sanded it that allowed trapped solvent to leach out. His solution was to re sand then set the fender in the sun for a day and re shoot....problem solved. I know the "P" sheets say you can sand and re coat. My experience is that you need some time and heat to make sure the solvents from the original clear are gone.

Vince

#3 ·
using the PPG's Shopline, do you guys think it is possible to wet-sand my clear coat and re-apply 3 more coats next summer?

I painted my car 10/14/06 and just finished buffing yesterday (took me 1 month...). Well, I noticed some contraction...

Can I simply scuff with 800 and re-apply the clear next July?

Thanks for your help

#5 ·
hgufrin said:
using the PPG's Shopline, do you guys think it is possible to wet-sand my clear coat and re-apply 3 more coats next summer?

I painted my car 10/14/06 and just finished buffing yesterday (took me 1 month...). Well, I noticed some contraction...

Can I simply scuff with 800 and re-apply the clear next July?

Thanks for your help
Oh yah! A year would be plenty of time. The "key" you need to realize is wait some time after you sand it. A day or so should be plenty. When you knock off the top that allows more solvent to escape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.