Paint or powder coat this stuff? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint or powder coat this stuff?

I'm in the process of doing a restomod on this '57 pickup for my wife. It's not going to be a show truck. Just want it to be a really nice driver for her.

This truck is not a custom cab so it has no chrome and she wants to keep it that way. She wants the truck to be dark green with the wheels, bumpers, grille and headlight bezels all to be off-white.

So, off-white for 5 wheels, 2 bumpers, the grille and both headlight bezels. Should I have those things all powdercoated instead of painting them?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone can give me a guesstimate of what that would cost for powdercoating all that would appreciate it. I've never had anything powdercoated before.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Your best bet is to call and talk to the coater. My guess is around $300-$400. Solid colors are relatively inexpensive.

You can also ask if they want the parts blasted but I'm sure they can do that for you.

Powder Coating by ACIW :: Headache Racks and Powder Coating by ACIW :: San Angelo, Texas

West Texas Powder Coat San Angelo, TX, 76904 - YP.com

Alamo Crosslink Powder Coating
Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
Your best bet is to call and talk to the coater. My guess is around $300-$400. Solid colors are relatively inexpensive.
You can also ask if they want the parts blasted but I'm sure they can do that for you.
Powder Coating by ACIW :: Headache Racks and Powder Coating by ACIW :: San Angelo, Texas
Thanks. At $400 it's probably worth it to have them powdercoated. If I paint them I would blast, epoxy primer and use single-state urethane paint. That would cost me probably upwards of $200 for the paint and supplies. Seems like powdercoating would be more durable and be good for these parts especially the wheels.

My neighbor had a trailer bumper and other parts powdercoated not long ago. I'll ask him which shop he used. I'm sure it must be one of the links you gave. They gave him good price. He also said they had a huge blasting rig.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:22 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

In your part of the country, powdercoating is a viable option. Up here, it seems that rust grows under the coating and peels it off in a few years. Proper rust stop and prep is very important to keeping coating on and those parts look clean to begin with.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM

I have lots of stuff powder coated. It is so cheap here. From full frames under $300 to interior garnish molding sets for $50. I cant even begin to start buying the materials to paint for that. They clean/blast and coat.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post

I talked to my neighbor today. This is the place he used. The place has a web site and from the photos on it, they look like they know what their doing.:

Rough Country Accessories - Ballinger TX

He had the rear bumper and pin box from his 5th wheel trailer done. That bumper had some pretty deep rust on it. The pin box wasn't rusty but had faded paint on it.

The place only charged him $100 for both. Based on that he thought the guy would only charge me about $300 for my stuff. He also said he doesn't do quotes over the phone as he wants to see the stuff before giving a quote. He also said the guy kind of insists that he do the blasting. He's got a big blasting rig. My stuff would blast easy. My 5 wheels are brand new Wheel Vintiques wheels with only primer on them. Pretty much no rust on any of the other parts, just paint.

I think I should just load my stuff up and take it down to this guy and get a quote.

When I look at the paint alternative, things add up quickly. First, I would blast all the parts so I would have a time investment there. (No big deal though since my pressure blaster is all set up. I've been blasting the cab of the truck the last few days.) I'd probably shoot about $40 worth of epoxy primer on the stuff and I would need to buy a couple of quarts of single-stage urethane. That would run about $80 per quart. Add the hardener and reducer and it's say about $200. So, roughly it would cost me about $250 to paint this stuff.

Even if this guy charges my $400 or $500 to powder coat this stuff, it would seem like the thing to do. If it's $300, it's a no-brainer. I don't see any advantages to the paint route other than being a little cheaper. The powder coat would give me better durability. It seems like the durability would be really good for the wheels and rear bumper. The rear bumper is likely going to be used as a step.

Last edited by roger1; 12-18-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I talked to my neighbor today. This is the place he used. The place has a web site and from the photos on it, they look like they know what their doing.:

Rough Country Accessories - Ballinger TX

He had the rear bumper and pin box from his 5th wheel trailer done. That bumper had some pretty deep rust on it. The pin box wasn't rusty but had faded paint on it.

The place only charged him $100 for both. Based on that he thought the guy would only charge me about $300 for my stuff. He also said he doesn't do quotes over the phone as he wants to see the stuff before giving a quote. He also said the guy kind of insists that he do the blasting. He's got a big blasting rig. My stuff would blast easy. My 5 wheels are brand new Wheel Vintiques wheels with only primer on them. Pretty much no rust on any of the other parts, just paint.

I think I should just load my stuff up and take it down to this guy and get a quote.

When I look at the paint alternative, things add up quickly. First, I would blast all the parts so I would have a time investment there. (No big deal though since my pressure blaster is all set up. I've been blasting the cab of the truck the last few days.) I'd probably shoot about $40 worth of epoxy primer on the stuff and I would need to buy a couple of quarts of single-stage urethane. That would run about $80 per quart. Add the hardener and reducer and it's say about $200. So, roughly it would cost me about $250 to paint this stuff.

Even if this guy charges my $400 or $500 to powder coat this stuff, it would seem like the thing to do. If it's $300, it's a no-brainer. I don't see any advantages to the paint route other than being a little cheaper. The powder coat would give me better durability. It seems like the durability would be really good for the wheels and rear bumper. The rear bumper is likely going to be used as a step.

I need to send my parts to Texas we only have 1 local powder coater ,he ask me 100 dollars EACH to do three Schwinn bicycle wheels.supp;y and demand
Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

My only comment when it comes to a "paint versus powdercoat" scenario is that paint can be touched up whereas powdercoat can't.

A polyurethane paint also cures as hard as nails ...

Here in Alberta, Endura is pretty much legendary for it's resistance to abrasion.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
My only comment when it comes to a "paint versus powdercoat" scenario is that paint can be touched up whereas powdercoat can't.

A polyurethane paint also cures as hard as nails ...

Here in Alberta, Endura is pretty much legendary for it's resistance to abrasion.
Any single stage acrylic urethane would work great for touching up dings.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM

I didn't know that Rough Country did powder coating for anything other than their own products. I do have two pickups equipped with their bumper replacements and headache racks that are of very good quality and are holding up very well. Let us all know how this comes out.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimpala View Post
I didn't know that Rough Country did powder coating for anything other than their own products. I do have two pickups equipped with their bumper replacements and headache racks that are of very good quality and are holding up very well. Let us all know how this comes out.
Sure will. I'll probably wait until after the holidays.

Looks like Rough Country recently moved from Ballinger to San Angelo. I don't know how my neighbor found them but they did a good job for him at a good price. So, that's where I'll start out since I don't have experience with anybody here for this.

Btw, I have a build thread going on this truck if you or anyone is interested:

'57 Chevy 3200 Pickup Build Thread
Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Hopefully, you have better luck with powder coating than we had. We had all of the suspension parts of our homemade car powder coated in 2004 or so. By 2008 or 2009, all of the parts looked like crap. I repainted them with POR15 - it has held up much better.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged03 View Post
... By 2008 or 2009, all of the parts looked like crap.
In what way?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
In what way?
The powder coating had faded and rusted in many places. Granted, the vehicle was outside all of the time during those years, but the coating faired worse than rattle can paint used elsewhere on the vehicle.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

The only comment I'll make is make sure you discuss with you coater how thick the coating will be when it comes to mounting panels and other things. Some guys seem to really pound it on, or use a thicker coating. It can make getting holes lined up a real job. Sometimes you have to grind away some of the coating. Powdercoat makes an awesome "primer" Just dab with some auto touch up paint after trial fitting.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.