Paint or powdercoat? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 08:43 PM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Paint or powdercoat?

I'm building a bucket and I am thinking about powdercoating the suspension (front and rear). I have heard lots of feedback both pro and con. My thought is that considering how easy it is to breakdown the front or rear, painting would be the way to go (cheaper, I have way more time than money). I've also heard that powdercoat is more durable and would last a VERY long time. But if it does chip, you have to recoat it as it will look like crap if you try to touch it up.

Any opinions or experiences?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Last journal entry: 46 Dodge frame
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T,
I'm a firm believer in powder coating,it preserves the metal and is very tough. Can't reply to the chipping thing,have not hit it hard enough,just dents. I do antiques,projects,vehicle parts, I have a plow that was done 10-15 years ago,sits in the garden and looks new.Thing with coating is the prep work,use a good shop,yea they may cost 10% more than Bob down the street,but when it's time to bolt up,you don't want to file or sand.My block/heads/timing cover/oil pan/intake are there now,my bud calls me and says go get a gasket kit,the same kind you will be using for assembly and get it to him.Yes it was an extra 72 bucks,but now when it's done no bare metal will show and gaskets will fit great. It is significantly ore money to do,but man is it worth it. All the colors and textures are *****in...
Old 03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

I'm quite fond of the powdercoat option. My entire frame, front and rear suspension, axle housing, and a few misc. pieces are powdercoated. The price for everything really wasnt as bad as I expected. I've found that its incredibly easy to clean. You can clean it with carb cleaner or paint thinner if you wish, and it won't affect it unless left on for long periods of time.

It does however depend on the coating. There are interior and exterior coatings, of standard and industrial grades. Everything I got done in blue is an extrerior industrial coating. Its pretty stout. They can also lay down an epoxy filler coat first before the color to smooth everything out.

The "chrome" color is also very weak, very easy to chip, and is inconsistant in color. Silver is a slightly weaker color as well, but can be cleared and re baked for added strrangth.

Also, I happened to scuff my frame a bit while driving, and it left a dry spot, that looked as if it had been sanded down. I was able to buff it out and you cannot even tell it ever contacted anything. My frame also sits flat on the ground quite often, even when I start the truck, and I've had no problems yet.

So, powdercoat gets my vote. I can't say I'd ever paint my frame or suspension parts. Too easy to chip. Would you ever swing a ruber mallet at your nice painted suspension pieces? Probably not. But I didn't hesitate to give my powdercoated pieces a little persuasion.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I vote for powder coating too. I coat everything that isn't sheet metal or chrome. Engines, heads, trannys (polished then clear coated), suspension and frames, fender wells, exhaust systems (everything but headers), you name it I coat it. I have never had a chip in 10 years and many cars. As the guys say above if it gets marred just color sand and polish and it's like new. For frames, the coating costs not all that much more than a commercial sand blast ot white metal which you need to do for a quality paint job anyway.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

powder coat it. One of the guy I know just had a complete 57 Nomad body p.c.ed. A tough foundation. Scuff it with coarse grit for bondo, he'll sand it lightly for paint. Just go some running boards back from p.c.ing, same thing there for body work, underside will be sealed with the toughest stuff ever, the powdercoat. not too bad to work with, of course most will not have to mess with bodywork when they get parts coated. My 36 Ford frame and chassis parts are coated, see my journal. Hard stuff to beat. Dan
Old 03-06-2007, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

First off I want to thank you guys for the input so far. It has given me a lot of food for thought.

Does anyone have experience with powder coat on a T bucket? Just about all the ones I have seen are painted and look fine or have they just redone the painting before a show or cruise. Any street rod guys with exposed suspension pieces have thoughts on this? How did they stand up under normal cruising?

The place I have found that I used on my wirewheels did a really great job, but while the price seemed fair, it took 2 weeks. Maybe I'm just putting too much thought into this, but I'm just seeking info on what will work best in the long run. It was no problem to paint and it only took a few days at minimal cost. I guess that is my main issue. Of course, if I am having to do it often, then that would be a plus in the direction of powder coating.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred

The place I have found that I used on my wirewheels did a really great job, but while the price seemed fair, it took 2 weeks. Maybe I'm just putting too much thought into this, but I'm just seeking info on what will work best in the long run. It was no problem to paint and it only took a few days at minimal cost. I guess that is my main issue. Of course, if I am having to do it often, then that would be a plus in the direction of powder coating.
Some coaters, depending on the size of the pieces, will accumalate enough pieces to make the job worthwhile. Sometimes a busier coater will get r done more quickly, they will have enough "gloss black" pieces to do a run right away. That's how my guy works it. I LIKE powdercoating. Dan
Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Well, I'll vote for powdercoating suspension stuff, too. I've painted that stuff before and it doesn't last like powdercoating. Of course, I powder coat at home. though. There's no wait, just finding the time to do it myself.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

It took only 2 weeks to have my frame, front suspension, rear suspension, and axle housing blasted and coated, and there was a 3 day delay on getting the color powder.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again for the advice. My rear suspension pieces will be here in about two weeks and by then i should have made up my mind. I'm leaning towards powder coating. It seems the way to go.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

My gal! Today, I was taking her to work and she asked me how my T was coming. I explained to her my dilemma about going with paint or powder coating. I explained the benefits and cons of both. As we sat at a traffic light, she looks at me and says: "So, you can't decide how many times you want to tear down your car? Go with the one that will last the longest. The choice doesn't even sound like it should be a thought."

If I'm not careful, I may find myself on one knee one day.

Oh, and thanks again to everyone who gave advise and or comments. Sometimes ya just want to hear opinion, even when you already know what you need to do. You will, of course, understand that the one knee thing does NOT apply to you though. I just don't roll that way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited by tfeverfred; 03-10-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Don't want praise - just send money!!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
Don't want praise - just send money!!
She offered to split the cost with me.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

She sounds like a keeper. Better make an honest woman out of her quick!
Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
She sounds like a keeper. Better make an honest woman out of her quick!
I am. Probably this winter or next spring.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.