Paint Prep for Interior - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 06:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Prep for Interior

I am prepping my car for epoxy. I have the full car, undercarraige and all, in bare metal. I am in the process of scuffing everything with 80 grit. However, I would also like to spray the interior of the vehicle. I did some floor board repair so that area definitely needs to be prepped for epoxy. But I was also going to just shoot the full interior while I am there.

My question is: The rest of the interior paint hasn't been stripped. I started cleaning it down with acetone but how much further prep would you guys recommend before I shoot it with the primer?

I am doing a color change on the car so my overall goal is to just get the whole car, inside and out, in the same color.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 07:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Of course, you won't get the full benefit of the epoxy if you spray it over the existing paint. Conversely, if the existing paint is in good shape, nothing you replace it with will stick any better. It should be sanded w/ 320 just like the outside would be prior to priming. Incidentally, in Kalifornia it is legal to use epoxy primer over bare metal but illegal to use it as a sealer over existing paint.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A good scuffing with the red Scotch pad will be fine if you don't want to use the paper,nothing wrong with using the paper but the pads are alot easier and last longer,clean well with a pre cleaner and shoot the epoxy.
Your original paint WILL have to be scuffed for the epoxy to adhear properly.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.