Hot Rod Forum banner

paint project question

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  BarryK 
#1 ·
Been lurking here for a while and reading mostly about paint prep and application to get a background for my project.

I have done some paint and body work in the past and really have been lucky with my results because there are a number of things that I've been doing incorrectly. From not following tech sheets to poor flash times I guess I've done it all.

My project car has black factory paint that is in great shape but the doors have too many dings in them to live with. I picked up spare doors that will need very little body work but what concerns me is color match. Its an old 911 with a single stage factory paint (glasurit I think). I always thought that black is black no matter who makes it but would using a bc/cc look the same as the paint on the rest of the car? Thanks, Chuck

#2 ·
I have done over the years many 911's and the old 21 line that was used from the factory did not last long at all.

Odds are unless you owned this since new and its been parked in basement than its been repainted.

If it has been repainted we must find out if single stage was used or a base / clear.

Base clear next to single stage is not going to match and visa versa.

Black is not black and there are all different shades from brown flop to Grey flop.
Panel painting would be a problem so the doors will have to be blended into fenders and quarters.

To sum it up on the 911 design you will be paint both sides and roof. (good time to paint the 2 unpainted panels also)

#3 ·
Barry, thanks for the response. The paint is in great shape and I can find no evidence of an allover repaint. Odd thing is that the newer turbo tail and teardrop mirrors are a great color match.....and I'm picky.

With an area as large as the doors it might be another story. I have done some research on a Porsche BB and was told that non metallics for 82 were SS. Would that make the paint Glasurit? If I need to paint using a SS is it possible to wet sand and buff for a final product or is that not an option.
I am reasonably comfortable painting the extra doors that I have with a BC/CC but the SS is making me think twice. I know I can turn out an excellent finish with BC/CC but want it to be close to the original paint that is already on the car. Thanks, Chuck

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, those years came with Glasomax if non metallic.

BUT the wing is evidence that the car has been repainted and could be to your benefit as when these things were repainted it was almost always done in base/clear because of how fanatical the owners of these things can be.
320 sand paper in a small spot should tell story.

Buffing the new 22 replaced 21 line in single stage is not to much of a problem if done inside of 1-2 days.

If your base clearing, You could use any brand as few people used the glasurit system on redos because of cost.

#5 ·
Ok, after some close checking it appears that the only thing repainted on the car is decklid since the turbo tail was added. I put the mirrors on and had them painted with a cheap bc/cc. If I go the Glasurit route do I even want to know how much materials are going to cost? I have hear d some crazy numbers mentioned.
I am leaning towards bc/cc on the doors if the 375.00 a gallon rumour for Glasurit is true.

Would this be a good plan of attack: bare metal, etching primer,body filler, 2k high build, etching primer again as a sealer, bc/cc. I am just trying to make sure that this project lasts long term so bear with me with all of the questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.