Paint question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Paint question

It's been a very long time since I was messing around with this hobby and now I have the bug again. My question is: Lacquer was once the paint of choice because of the very high shine possible with it. I know that a lot has changed in paint technology since those days. Is lacquer the still the way to go for a show quality shine or has something taken its place.

Thanks
Y

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

some purists may argue but theres no excuse to go thru so much hasstle with laquer when BaseCoat/ClearCoat does a better job and it will last longer too. BC/CC has a lot more work and knowledge involved in itself and its harder to work with(in complexity) than older paints systems, for instance enamels.

this coming from a newbie myself(in BC/CC) keep looking for info.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I am the Chevelle Man!

Last journal entry: Grill Support
Last photo:

lacquer has a good shine, but BC/CC is more durable, longer lasting.. i like using deltron 1 stage acrylic urethane.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

Yleefox, take note that 1 stage eurathane is not base coat/clear coat. It's a single stage that basically has the clear coat in the paint, like enamel paint. It's just a two part paint.

Base coat is easier to spray. The clear coat is a little harder to spray and it takes practise to get used to it. At least with clear coat, if you get a run or a sag, you can sand it out, buff and polish to a high gloss.

Single stage metallics are NON-sandable. If you get a run or sag in it, you have to sand and reshoot.

However, You can scuff single stage and shoot clear coat over it. The color sand, buff and polish to a super deep, high gloss finish.

Frank
Old 05-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

my choice is Deltron 2000 base coat and 2021 clear coat its by PPG
Old 05-28-2007, 03:34 AM

The one thing

First off, thanks for all the replies. Secondly, one of the things I liked about lacquers, was the speed at which they dried. It was quick enough to make spraying in a home workshop viable. It would be dry enough that any dust, bugs, etc., rarely had enough time to screw up your paint job. How does BC/CC coatings compare in this respect?

I know, I know, you're supposed to control those invading pest, however, in real life, home workshops, it is nearly impossible to eliminate them, reduce yes, eliminate no. At least, in spite of my best attempts, it was always impossible for me.

Yleefox
Old 05-28-2007, 05:03 AM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

The base coat will dry as fast as lacquer used to,therefore dust in the base is kept to a minimum. To me, dust in the clear is no big deal.If you're going to color sand the clear afterwards, all of the dust will disappear.
www.geocities.com/dantechfab
Old 05-28-2007, 05:40 AM

But then something

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43
The base coat will dry as fast as lacquer used to,therefore dust in the base is kept to a minimum. To me, dust in the clear is no big deal.If you're going to color sand the clear afterwards, all of the dust will disappear.
www.geocities.com/dantechfab
Hemi43,
That is certainly true of any top coat that is going to be sanded and buffered. I do remember a tiny, black, flying insect, no bigger than a 1/16th of an inch, crash landing in the wet lacquer clear coat on my 65 Corvette. To deep to sand out, so I left it. No one every noticed that bug, that is, except for me. As far as I was concerned, it might just as well have been a buzzard buried in that clear coat, because everytime I walked by the rear of my car, it jumped out at me. Sure wish I would have taken the time to fix it, I could have been more content.
Yleefox
Old 05-28-2007, 07:22 AM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

Most of the dust in paint jobs are lint from the painter's clothing or rags being used in the painting area. Dust from air borne particles are too small to see anyways. The color you're painting makes a difference too. All the color sanding in the world won't hide black lint on a white car.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.