Paint Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 PM

Last journal entry: Rear Axle swap #2 (74 Camaro) part 6
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Question

Just bought an accord for my daughter and need some advice.
It's a 96 and it's beige or gold. I need to replace the hood and right front fender. I can get both new for $120 total painted primer black.
Or, should I spend $150 for a painted hood (currently available at a salvage yard) and wait for a painted fender?
I can paint the hood and fender myself but I'm not sure how much it would cost in materials. Or should I have a local Autobody shop do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Boy Howdy, that is a loaded question, If you could find both pieces already painted to match it would probably be worth it. Figure a quart of color and a quart of clear plus primer and reducer. That probably won't leave enough out of a 100.00 bill to buy a good burger and a 6 pack.

I think I would have to actually price out the materials that I figured I needed to use and see what the comparative cost would be to buying the pieces used with good factory matching paint.

painting it yourself vs having a painter shoot it would depend upon your painting skills. The pro painter might be able to match the color a bit better if the car has any fade in the paint. but it would raise the cost of the project a considerable amount.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by garretthes
Just bought an accord for my daughter and need some advice.
It's a 96 and it's beige or gold. I need to replace the hood and right front fender. I can get both new for $120 total painted primer black.
Or, should I spend $150 for a painted hood (currently available at a salvage yard) and wait for a painted fender?
I can paint the hood and fender myself but I'm not sure how much it would cost in materials. Or should I have a local Autobody shop do it?
Those aftermarket fenders and hoods can be a real PIA to get to fit correctly - you can save money, but I've had these things fit so poorly you have to cut and weld them to fit.

Buying already painted parts can sometimes work - although most panels you get from the boneyard need work at least you wouldn't have to paint the jambs to match saving some time and materials - but MAKE sure if you're buying used parts to check they are not aftermarket - why pay more for painted aftermarket parts that don't fit?

The color is another real PIA to get to match, golds, silvers, light blue, pearls, tri-coats are a PIA to match - this is where having a shop with a mixing system to tint the color to match is critical - if you care about it not being 2tone

Then there's the cost of materials 100.00 is extremely optimistic estimate - I'll say to buy the paint, cc, sealer, masking tape, paper, tack clothes, etc...250.00+ easily if you get decent materials - then you need a place to paint it.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:28 AM
I am the Chevelle Man!

Last journal entry: Grill Support
Last photo:

rambo took the words right out of my mouth.. ill just leave it at that.. lol
Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Last journal entry: Rear Axle swap #2 (74 Camaro) part 6
Last photo:

I'm not real interested in the color being perfect. This is my daughters car and she just got her license. My guess (statistics prove me out) she will have some sort of fender bender before she is 17. I just want the car to look respectable. I will be driving it until I get the 5.3 loaded into my 59 Suburban.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.