Paint Question #157 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 06:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint Question #157

Over the years people have leaned over the front fender of my windowed Sedan Delivery and scratched as well as worn the paint off the top of the fender.

Last week I got the bright idea of trying to repair the paint. So I drove the Delivery to a parts store that also sells auto paint. Their paint guy came out and used his camera on the paint to get a picture of how it was mixed.

I have the can of paint the previous owner used on my Delivery back in the 1970s as it was inside when I bought it back on october, 1981. It's Dupont enamel. The name on the can said it was '57 Chevy Highland Green, an original color offered in 1957. Some years ago I tried to fix a spot on the rear and the paint I bought from Classic Chevy was a lot darker then the paint already on the vehicle. This is why I had the guy at the store take a picture of the paint last week.

He did a great job mixing the paint as I tried doing a little touch up on rock chips. When I went to try and spray the paint on the fender I first got a cottage cheese texture out of the paint.

I'm using one of the Prevail paint systems you mix your paint in and spray similar to a rattle can of paint. I bought this Prevail system years ago and never could get it to work right?

And now the paint on top of my fender is really screwed up?

Some people suggested I thin the paint more then the instructions suggest if I plan on using the Prevail system I have. Okay I tried that and I still screwed the paint up.

It's Acrylic Enamel paint so it's not like I've never sprayed it before, I have.

At this point I'm tempted to either break out the new top load gun I have or let a body shop try to repair my screw up? As what can be worse then mis-matched paint but screwed up paint.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm using one of the Prevail paint systems you mix your paint in and spray similar to a rattle can of paint.
This is most likely the reason for your textured surface. They really don't have enough pressure and a good enough spray pattern for painting with. You really need to get a spray gun and compressor to spray it well. you need good atomization from your equiptment and ability to adjust to get the paint to lay out well.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Well, sounds like a delima. I'm thinking sand it down and break out the "top-loader". It's just enamel and if it is a solid color (which it sounds like it is), just color-sand and buff that bad boy to beautiful. My opinion is if you don't get it right with the right equipment then take it to a shop. But, I'm all about the do it yourself. Nobody fixes anything on my car but me. And well, in some matters (other than paint) it shows, but hey I did it, and next time I'll probably do it better.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

I've painted car parts before and my first complete spray job I did on a '79 Dodge Diplomat I used to own in 1987. The paint on this was Cadet Blue Poly. A somewhat heavy metallic.

In 1990-91 I painted my other BelAir Hardtop it's original Dusk Pearl and Imperial Ivory colors. '57 Chevy Dusk Pearl is a very heavy metallic paint and not easy to work with as it's such a light color to spray. But I figureed if it turned out bad I had no one but me to blame. Not someone I "Paid" to paint my car.

Well the paint on my windowed Delivery is close to a paint International Harvester used on some of their trucks according to the computer at the paint store. After the guy used his camera on the paint and mixed a pint for me, he pressed a couple buttons and the computer same up with the IH information.

But this paint too is a heavy metallic paint even though it doesn't look like it.

I'm also one I do not want other people working on my '57s. I've done this before and always got screwed. Even by the local Chevy dealer when I let them touch my very first car in 1974.

Some other guys said they too used the Prevail system and they got pretty good results using it. But all I seem to get it a poor paint job?

Guess I'll try the new paint gun and see what I can do with it?

Like you guys said if I screw that up, I can always check with the body shop that repaired both my daily drivers.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Hey, By the way! Remember, "It's just paint" A real top notch paint-job is about 90% prep!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Highland green is a metallic and cannot be buffed if it is sprayed in enamel. So if you get trash you wont be able to get it out .You may want to try doing it in base clear and do a blend into the next panel for a match. Dupont has all the 57 colors on file in base coat formulas. I don't know of any other way to match it perfectly because the paint now and what they sold then are total different. I think they took all they good stuff out but they not the same. You may get a slight gloss difference but the color match should be undetectable with a blend, or u could try tinting the stuff but good luck with that. Tim

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.